Rooster Bachelor Pad

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Renee97038, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Renee97038

Renee97038 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    West Coaster
    I hear others talk about having a bunch of cockerels in a bachelor pad. How does that work if they are all grown up together, then you take one out to breed for a month with your flock, then try putting him back in with 4 or 5 in the bachelor pad pen? Doesn't that make him get beat up when you put him back? Mine will all be growing up together and I was hoping to take certain cockerels/cocks out to breed and then put them back.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I have kept roosters/cockerels in a bachelor pad a couple of times, but only as a grow-out situation. I think you may be right that if you take one out for a month and put it back in, it will potentially have to regain its position in the flock. Chickens have pretty short memories - they can't even remember a flock mate after a week's absence, let alone a month.

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Generally I think, when people keep multiple roosters, they do so to have breeding trios or pairs for each breed. In that case (I assume) one would put out all the roosters with their chosen ladies, and then later gather all the roosters back up. So it would be more like putting a bunch of strange birds back together, which will cause pecking as they determine the order again, but the pecking will be distributed to all the roosters in the flock.

Others, like me, keep a bachelor pad more short term to grow out roosters for harvest. Most of us keep an eagle eye on those boys as a possible replacement rooster. So perhaps we don't harvest all of them at the same time. Sometimes, people even try a rooster with the flock to see if they like what they see. However if that does not work, the bird is culled, so my point is, that while one might take roosters out of the bachelor pen, you don't tend to put them back.

In your scenario, I think that if you are just going to breed one rooster, I would just leave him with the flock all the time, year round. I leave my rooster with the flock, he takes care of them, that is his job.

Mrs K

4. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    Have you ever seen a bunch of young brothers stop recognizing each other because they got wet, and all start fighting each other at once. Can't count the number of times I have come out to find 3 or 4 brothers in a pile in the rain. Rather comical, actually.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I keep a bachelor pen of adult American Dominiques. I do not generally move them out and then back again for any length of time. I will release them all to forage and they will fight a little when so treated. If I were to introduce a new male, then I would want to introduce many. When I have introduced younger males which is fairly easy, then I rearrange things in the pen. They think they are in a new location and often begin fighting. That is when the new guys are added as that makes so the new guys are not as targeted by the established males.

I have combined cocks before and it is a pain the butt. I had to keep going in to break up fights by hold combatants down or let dog in on them so he would do the same. Cocks became leary of the interventions, especially by the dog making so they invested less in the fighting. After they got a little sore the scrapping ceased. Doing such I recommend be done at start of weekend so you can make certain no one is getting seriously hurt. Feathers will be dinged up. If spurs well developed, then trim to preserve eyes of combatants.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by