Rooster backing up strangely

Rachael4444

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2020
Masstown, Nova Scotia
Hello! I have a six month old Orpington rooster with a strange quirk: He looks and the ground and backs up confusedly, as if he’s dropped a penny, seemingly out of nowhere for about a minute several times a day. I don’t think it can be confused for a challenge because it’s not directed at anyone and he does it when no other chicken (or person) is near. He also seems to hesitate when I bring food to the flock. Initially I assumed he was just being a good rooster and letting the others eat first, but he genuinely just seems scared! Is my rooster broken? Thanks

They do that when they have pain they are trying to back away from, or when they have troubles seeing. I'd give him a good looking over, especially on the head. Check his vision by moving your hands past his eyes to see if he reacts. It's always possible he recently got pecked or hit his head too.

Interesting. I'm seeing the same thing with my house rooster. I didn't give it much thought because he's a weirdo. He is a crossbeak so he could be in some pain or maybe my dog stepped on him. I haven't seen any injuries - he gets a weekly bath - so I'll check his vision.

As far as I can tell, he can see my hand from both eyes. I’m wondering if it could be as simple as a thorn in his foot? I noticed him pick up his right one a few times and there are wild rose bushes in our yard. He doesn’t appear to be injured, so I hope he’s not in pain :(

Chickens aren't real bright, so they attempt to get away from something uncomfortable. All you can do is look him over well. I've had birds do that as well when they are molting and growing in new feathers on the head. It could be just something small that resolves after a bit.

Back
Top Bottom