Rooster behavior question

He is not new to the flock. He arrived as a day old chick in July with other chicks. Since coming of age a few months ago, the three oldest hens seldom come down from roosting in order that they keep away from him. At some point, I started giving them some time apart, so the girls could eat. But now that hes been seen doing this, (on top of what I just mentioned) I think hes more trouble than hes worth... I'd be inclined to keep him separate (because he is a great pet!) unfortunately for him we are moving this weekend and the house we're moving to was and still in some ways is a major remodel I have a half set up coop there which means no place to separate him which means, he might not be making the move... with other priorities IN the house and moving a whole farm, I just don't see my husband building a rooster house for a while. Hmmmm. And we're moving from a large farm to a small farm, so all spare stalls and space there is spoken for by a horse or rabbit or dog...

Thank-you all that is what I was thinking but I haven't had any rooster experience to be sure. He is a sweet chicken to me, I carry him around like a pet dog. But my hens do not like him. After seeing that yesterday I did leave him separate and the hen who has been out/he was shaking was inside with her fellow hens this morning happy as can be. So he was certainly the issue. I don't see anything wrong with her. He doesn't seem "good protective" at all either, I'm sure if a hawk came after them he'd be all "its every bird for themselves!" and just run away too, meanwhile being obnoxious to the hens.

They should have more than enough space. There are six hens and the one roo in a 10x12 coop with a 6x10 addition. Various roosts and things to hop on. Free choice food constantly, scraps, treats... There are 3 ways in and out if anyone needs to make a quick escape.

What breeds of roosters are the most gentle and/or quiet (typically, I know everything varies with the particular animal)

I had NOT heard not to put them in with the flock until they're older... shoot!

Absolutely NOT! :smack

He's just being a Stew Pidasso because of her refusal to mate with him... and his teen age hormones raging and not knowing how to conduct himself.

Duly noted with thanks :D
I only wondered that because we lost a couple of hens this fall, so I thought this hen who was out of the coop was sick at first, and thought maaaaaybe he was attacking her for that reason. But after giving him the boot last night into to his own room, she is in fact just fine, you are correct.

Individuals differ, as mentioned above! Generally Rhode Island Reds, at least hatchery birds, tend to be tough, while Salmon Favorelle boys are usually sweet. I've had nice boys, and jerks, and only keep the good ones! My white Chanteclers have been good, BTW.
Mary

I vouch for the Faverolles boys.
Iv'e only had one stinker and he wasn't mean.
His problem? Too much love machine.:)
Individuals differ, as mentioned above! Generally Rhode Island Reds, at least hatchery birds, tend to be tough, while Salmon Favorelle boys are usually sweet. I've had nice boys, and jerks, and only keep the good ones! My white Chanteclers have been good, BTW.
Mary

And as others noted, breed does not always guarantee temperment but I will say most every Faverolles fella I have encountered have been awesome. I have one roo and am getting a blue Salmon cockerel next week as a pair, they are great personalities but can be bullied if they are too easy going.

A lot of run space and extra hiding places and free ranging did not prevent my young rooster from seriously injuring my hen. He had trapped her in a smaller coop adjacent to the large run during a free range period one day. He ripped her scalp from her head leaving a long flap of skin dangling. From that time on, I kept her safe from him, knowing he'd likely keep doing it. I would have culled him if he behaved this way with any other hens. After that incident, he's been well behaved so it was a personality conflict between the two.

He doesn't seem "good protective" at all either, I'm sure if a hawk came after them he'd be all "its every bird for themselves!" and just run away too, meanwhile being obnoxious to the hens.
He has not matured into that yet. Even a puppy won't start defending it's yard until it reaches a certain point of maturity.

I don't keep roosters as a sacrifice to the predators, personally. Meaning they are no match for most predators I have. I keep them for fertilizing eggs and filling the freezer.

I probably wouldn't have kept a single boy separate. But my first experience with "rooster" included an outbreak of about 7 hormonal boys at once... guess what, they cooperated to chase and hold down and take turn mating the most docile hen in the flock. It was a rude awakening for me... and thus the stag pen was created. Especially when my favorite sweet lap boy decided I was competition for his hens and started sneak attacking me, stalking me, etc... I was in denial. How could that be when he was SOOO friendly?!

Good luck on your move! Glad your hen is happy to be back with her flock and well! :wee

Our first rooster was a total attack bird, and we kept him way too long! There's a learning curve, and over the years you will get better at reading behaviors out there, and likely less tolerant of the bad ones.
Mary

At 8 months that is very brutal behavior to a hen. If he is great to you and you enjoy him, consider keeping him seperate from the ladies and just have his own space. My boy Ruger was initially rough but more so in a clumsy adolescent way. He had bitten the back of necks before, but never to the extreme of grabbing and shaking. He may need time to mellow out, but regardless seperation from the ladies seems to be the best course to keep for now, wait a good bit before attempting reintroduction to the flock.

Back
Top Bottom