Rooster Behavior

Duckchick2011

Songster
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Louisiana
I was wondering, Do roosters help the hens find a good place to nest?

My new rooster Presley had jumped into the nest box I made this morning and made a really big deal about it i.e he was clucking his head off. Then my hen came over, kicked him out and hasn't left. She's scratching around a whole lot and arranging the hay around her like she's making a nest. I think she's getting ready to lay an egg but I really don't know(I'm kinda new to chickens). Maybe she just found a nice place for a nap, but she sure is fussing over it.

There behavior is so fun to watch!

Last edited:
Yes, as you have probably figured out they do. They will scratch, cluck and make a trilling sound to call the hens.

I love to watch my cockerel, he makes a fuss over the girls. Yes, mine would get in the nesting boxes, cluck and inspect - sort of like checking it out before he let's them use it
smile.png

It's a wonderfully fun thing to watch if they are good to the ladies.

I love to watch my cockerel, he makes a fuss over the girls. Yes, mine would get in the nesting boxes, cluck and inspect - sort of like checking it out before he let's them use it
smile.png

It's a wonderfully fun thing to watch if they are good to the ladies!
Yes
cool.png
I was so worried he would be mean and rough to her but so far he has been such an amazing gentleman. He finds her food and guards her too.

Oh yeah, I just got my first egg!!!!!!
woot.gif
I'm thinking about letting her go broody. I have a strong feeling she will.

How many eggs do hens typically lay before they decide to start sitting?

When I got my first flock of mixed ages the cock got into the nest for about 30 minutes just talkin' up a storm...and then eggs there the next day.
It was funny, I had no clue at the time that they would do that.......then the first egg song was even funnier.

You can't 'make' a hen go broody....it's hormonal and will happen, or not, regardless of how many eggs she has laid.

Yes :cool: I was so worried he would be mean and rough to her but so far he has been such an amazing gentleman. He finds her food and guards her too.

Oh yeah, I just got my first egg!!!!!! :woot I'm thinking about letting her go broody. I have a strong feeling she will.

How many eggs do hens typically lay before they decide to start sitting?

It varies, but mine typically lay for 2-3 weeks before going broody. The most viable eggs are up to 7-10 days old. If you keep collecting eggs and always keep the last 7-10 eggs, you can place them under her once she starts to stay in the nest overnight ( that's my litmus test for a hen committed to being fully broody). Check out threads on storing eggs for setting also.

Good luck

Ct

Back
Top Bottom