Rooster behavior

Cierrascoop

Songster
Sep 24, 2022
Hey everyone
I was hoping someone could help me with my rooster issue. I want to try every tactic I can before getting another rooster. This one I got a few weeks ago and I was hoping his behavior was because he was out of his element and just acting out because he was in an unusual environment BUT I don't believe it's just him being scared anymore. Everytime I am around he VERY aggressively pecks the ground. Not eating, simply pecking leaves and dirt with aggression while walking sideways in my general direction. As soon as he sees me he can be halfway across the property and he will make it his mission to come over towards me and sneakily attack. I'm pretty sure i now understand why someone drove an hour just to re-home this guy. He is beautiful, but he is the smallest little jerk I've ever encountered. It's only been a few weeks and the hens have not accepted him yet. They refuse his dances and occasionally my head hen will become annoyed and peck his head once to get him to go away. Today when he attempted to flog me at feeding time she actually chased him off. So, I'm at a loss. The hens don't like him, hes aggressive...but, i love my animals. Even the ones that are ill-mannered. So I'm trying to see if there are any tactics to help his behaviors, because I do not feel comfortable rehoming him to anyone at all unless he would be used for food at this point in time.

Isa, where your food emotions you use?
A88DBA6E-32A7-4B96-AD35-FCBDEE4D42F8.gif
this one?
I downloaded it off a German site. You can download it to your phone and save it to use it later.

Hey everyone
I was hoping someone could help me with my rooster issue. I want to try every tactic I can before getting another rooster. This one I got a few weeks ago and I was hoping his behavior was because he was out of his element and just acting out because he was in an unusual environment BUT I don't believe it's just him being scared anymore. Everytime I am around he VERY aggressively pecks the ground. Not eating, simply pecking leaves and dirt with aggression while walking sideways in my general direction. As soon as he sees me he can be halfway across the property and he will make it his mission to come over towards me and sneakily attack. I'm pretty sure i now understand why someone drove an hour just to re-home this guy. He is beautiful, but he is the smallest little jerk I've ever encountered. It's only been a few weeks and the hens have not accepted him yet. They refuse his dances and occasionally my head hen will become annoyed and peck his head once to get him to go away. Today when he attempted to flog me at feeding time she actually chased him off. So, I'm at a loss. The hens don't like him, hes aggressive...but, i love my animals. Even the ones that are ill-mannered. So I'm trying to see if there are any tactics to help his behaviors, because I do not feel comfortable rehoming him to anyone at all unless he would be used for food at this point in time.
I would say that if you’re girls and you don’t like him he is not worth keeping. Yes he might be beautiful and trust me I love a beautiful rooster ,but I don’t think he is worth it if he is aggressive and I’m sure there are roosters that are both nice and beautiful😊

Hey everyone
I recently just rehomed my rooster yesterday. He flogged me three days in a row and one day was pecking aggressively at my boot when I was trying to use my foot to push him away. I disclosed all of this to a friend of mine (she has had chickens a long time) and she took him. The most interaction she does with her chickens is grabbing eggs and feeding them where as I like to hang out with mine while they free ranged which he didn't really care for. I think he will be happy with the little human interaction and she is knowledgeable enough to handle him when she does need to interact with him. Mind you, he didn't always attack me. It was always random. I would be out there with them for 20 mins and he'd be fine but then 15 mins later he'd try to challenge me. My friend lets their hens hatch eggs in the spring so he is mainly going to used for breeding. Which I should add, he loves his girls and his girls loved him without a doubt. I was sad to see him go but I also knew I just didn't want to deal with that in the future especially if it could get worse. I think the best thing you can do is if you do rehome him, completely disclose everything. Some people can accommodate for a rooster like that or they may just cull him. I personally could not cull him myself, which is why I reached out to my friend. They are going to give him a chance. As long as he allows her to collect the eggs and feed he can do whatever he wants and just make babies!

Thank you for being responsible.
I wouldn't feel right rehoming him to someone like me, especially. They're more my pets then just for egg production. And I paid far too much for someone else's issue when I got this guy. Even rehoming him for free would be unfair to anyone who got him. The only plus side to this was the hen he came with. Lol.

I recently just rehomed my rooster yesterday. He flogged me three days in a row and one day was pecking aggressively at my boot when I was trying to use my foot to push him away. I disclosed all of this to a friend of mine (she has had chickens a long time) and she took him. The most interaction she does with her chickens is grabbing eggs and feeding them where as I like to hang out with mine while they free ranged which he didn't really care for. I think he will be happy with the little human interaction and she is knowledgeable enough to handle him when she does need to interact with him. Mind you, he didn't always attack me. It was always random. I would be out there with them for 20 mins and he'd be fine but then 15 mins later he'd try to challenge me. My friend lets their hens hatch eggs in the spring so he is mainly going to used for breeding. Which I should add, he loves his girls and his girls loved him without a doubt. I was sad to see him go but I also knew I just didn't want to deal with that in the future especially if it could get worse. I think the best thing you can do is if you do rehome him, completely disclose everything. Some people can accommodate for a rooster like that or they may just cull him. I personally could not cull him myself, which is why I reached out to my friend. They are going to give him a chance. As long as he allows her to collect the eggs and feed he can do whatever he wants and just make babies!
Sorry, I meant to heart that! I am the same with my chickens. Most are silkies, so they aren't really for egg production. I just enjoy them. So this is a real bummer, because I cannot even effectively get to the coop to clean or collect eggs, etc much less just set out and enjoy spending time with them. He is the most aggressive rooster I've ever seen-and he is SO tiny!. I also don't have it in me to cull. Though I'm sure my husband would.

Back
Top Bottom