Rooster Blind in One Eye

KirkT123

Hatching
Apr 23, 2018
I have a rooster that used to be the top of the pecking order. I don't know how it happened but he is now blind in one eye. He keeps his right eyelid completely closed and now is intimidated by all the other chickens. He just kind of stays to himself now.
I am thinking of putting him in his own fenced in area with a few hens (if I can catch him as they are all free rangers) Without knowing the details does anyone think that I can medicate the eye and get his sight back? I know that is almost impossible to answer but I would like to improve his quality of life as best as I can.

Can you open his eye to look inside to see if his eye is intact and looks normal? Is there swelling of the eyelid, eye drainage or foam, or nasal drainage? You may use saline to wash out the eye, and apply some Terramycin eye ointment from a feed store or plain neosporin in a pinch.

Is there any swelling around or near his eye? He couldve scratched it, got debris in it, or been pecked in the eye as examples. You can flush his eye with saline solution, then apply terramycin eye ointment in the eye or neosporin if you wish. I can understand being skittish, is he eating and drinking normal etc? If not, there might be something more serious going on, perhaps an unseen injury.
If he's the only rooster, I'd leave him with his hens.

Back
Top Bottom