Rooster Brawl!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by artsyrobin, Feb 28, 2011.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    ok... two pens, each roo has his own girls.... rooster 1- Barney, Brahma, big galoot mostly gentle,

[​IMG]

but next to barney lives rooster 2 - Captain, banty cochin...

[​IMG]

who is minding his own business today, the usual shouting insults at barney- welllll.... barney kinda took matters in his own hands- squeezed through 2 fences, apparently snow had worked them apart and tried to beat captain- we found captain under the coop after barney met me at the door of the run- what a sight he was!!

[​IMG]

and captain looked worse! ever feel like this?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so they both got baths and inspections- and barney melted down in the tub and got blown dry..... kinda kills the impression of a big tough rooster

the fence is now fixed

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Looks like two survivors of a good ol' fashioned bar brawl!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Once upon a time, I used to wake up looking and feeling like that.[​IMG]

4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Quote:well- after the initial shock of it all, and realizing it was the chicken version of a schoolyard fight and not a death issue- just looked bad [​IMG]

5. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Wow... Glad that nobody was seriously hurt! I haven't figured out why my roos haven't hurt each other yet, but I am so thankful!

6. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    A couple of weeks ago, the neighbor's dog released all my OEGB hens and itty bitty roo Pierre while searching the chicken coop for food. Wouldn't be a big deal, but the only thing then separating Pierre from my standard cochin roo Scooter was chain link. I came home to poor Pierre as one big black scab for a head! His poor old comb was black, his eyes swollen shut, he looked HORRIBLE! Scooter, while in better physical shape injury-wise, was EXHAUSTED. Both boys spent several days mostly sleeping...and when the dog again released the chickens while I was gone, Pierre was smart enough to avoid Scooter. Silly boys. Tiny bantam rooster (maybe 12 oz in weight, dripping wet) going up against a 6 pound big boy... sigh. [​IMG]

The good news is that facial injuries from fighting usually heal pretty much on their own...

ETA that last pic of Captain looks like I felt after a hangover...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  7. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    thanks for sharing that- they look aweful and yes, seem to be sleeping alot- which had me worried- but i guess thats normal- so the neighbor dog has figured out how to open the gate? maybe get a different kind of latch? captain is a fourth the size of our big guy- at least he got under their coop to get away from him

8. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Couple'a knuckleheads [​IMG] glad they're both okay [​IMG]

9. F50myster

F50myster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Central Coast
    yeah!!!! go small cochin!!! bantam cocks are so feisty!!!! i had a bantam that would kick my standard size roosters butt...until that rooster got hevier then he took it out in the bantam and so i had to give him ways

10. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:We have since installed a new latch...the neighbor dog doesn't mean any harm...I think he's honestly scared of the chickens as he runs when they approach him, but he LOVES any scraps I give the chickens...no more scraps now or I will have a hole-y coop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by