Rooster broken his spur. Help plz

YeOleBroodie

Songster
11 Years
Jul 11, 2008
2 yr old buff roo has broken his spur right at the leg. Bleeding badly. He's sitting on my lap right now, Please What can I do?
Should also mention it appears loose but not dangling.

Last edited:
The "spur" is actually a hornlike cap on top of a bit of flesh. He's probably knocked the cap loose but not off of the flesh base. I'd try to remove the dangling spur. You can soak it in warm water to make this easier. (If you have a little betadine, put a bit of that in the water to help disinfect the bleeding part. ) Then you can more easily twist the cap off of the spur.

Then just treat the broken skin with neosporin.

Thanks so much for your reply.

I see you said twist it off. Any certain way it should be twisted?
Had to put him down as hes wiggling so much and causing it to bleed all the more.
It is still on rather tightly, I can wiggle it with my finger but then a gush of blood comes out.

How do I stop the bleeding?

Can I use h. peroxide in the water? I have nothing else on hand for disinfecting it otherwise.

Last edited:
If you leave the underside of the spur you risk infection, sortof like pulling off a fingernail, If you have a dremel you can cut it off even with the leg, the cutting will actually cauterize the wound, and bleeding should stop.
old.gif

I've taken the spurs off of roosters many times. I use a pair of pliers and position them right at the base of were spur and leg join. I press hard and they normally pop right off, it bleeds for a little bit, then they are fine. You can use a little blood stop powder too.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

This Buff O. boy is a really a big sweetheart and never given me a moments bit of trouble. Gentleman with his girls.
So it hurt me so see him bleeding so much and hurt.

I have it off now.
Soaked in fairly hot water then pliers to try twist it off. Never got it off with the pliers as it just dangled to one side, so I had to twist it with my fingers. All the while holding him and talking to him.
There is no nub there at all. Looks like it was ripped right out.
As he laid on my lap I poured h. peroxide over the foot.

He will spent the night in here with me, in a rubbermaid tub, to make sure the bleeding doesn't start again. Also don't need the girls picking at it as it looks really raw.

I will put some neosporin on it in awhile. Just thought I would let him be for awhile, as it must be sore.

As his treat for being such a good boy, he got a little homemade bread with butter and a piece of my pork chop. His dessert was strawberry yogurt.
smile.png

Again thanks for the help and I really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom