1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster can't flap wings.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by reynardwaltz, Sep 1, 2016.

1. reynardwaltz

reynardwaltz New Egg

Sep 1, 2016
    My pheonix rooster I recently purchased can't move his wings. I noticed this when I attempted to look under his wings for a parasite check. They are completely stiff, and this causes him to not be able to jump onto the roost. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC.

Can you post any photos?
    Any other signs/symptoms besides not being able to use wings?
    Any signs of illness - can he walk, move otherwise?
    How old is he?

The only thing I can think of that would cause him not to be able to use both wings would be at some point in time they may have been broken and now are frozen or he could have some type of illness that causes paralysis.

Can you take him to a vet for an examination?

3. reynardwaltz

reynardwaltz New Egg

Sep 1, 2016

4. reynardwaltz

reynardwaltz New Egg

Sep 1, 2016
    My phone isn't working correctly :/ it won't let me attach a photo. He seems to be fine other than that, but could the fact he is molting be an issue? Right after I took a photo of him he jumped out of my hand and landed flat on his face.

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I don't believe molting would cause his wings to not work.

Poor fella. Make sure that he has a safe place to sleep at night. Also since he is molting, ensure he is getting enough protein. You can feed an all flock/flock raiser formula or offer extra protein with eggs, tuna, mackerel or meat.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by