Rooster can't flap wings.

reynardwaltz

In the Brooder
Sep 1, 2016
My pheonix rooster I recently purchased can't move his wings. I noticed this when I attempted to look under his wings for a parasite check. They are completely stiff, and this causes him to not be able to jump onto the roost. Any ideas? Thanks.

My pheonix rooster I recently purchased can't move his wings. I noticed this when I attempted to look under his wings for a parasite check. They are completely stiff, and this causes him to not be able to jump onto the roost. Any ideas? Thanks.

Welcome to BYC.

Can you post any photos?
Any other signs/symptoms besides not being able to use wings?
Any signs of illness - can he walk, move otherwise?
How old is he?

The only thing I can think of that would cause him not to be able to use both wings would be at some point in time they may have been broken and now are frozen or he could have some type of illness that causes paralysis.

Can you take him to a vet for an examination?

Welcome to BYC.

Can you post any photos?
Any other signs/symptoms besides not being able to use wings?
Any signs of illness - can he walk, move otherwise?
How old is he?

The only thing I can think of that would cause him not to be able to use both wings would be at some point in time they may have been broken and now are frozen or he could have some type of illness that causes paralysis.

Can you take him to a vet for an examination?

My phone isn't working correctly :/ it won't let me attach a photo. He seems to be fine other than that, but could the fact he is molting be an issue? Right after I took a photo of him he jumped out of my hand and landed flat on his face.

My phone isn't working correctly
hmm.png
it won't let me attach a photo. He seems to be fine other than that, but could the fact he is molting be an issue? Right after I took a photo of him he jumped out of my hand and landed flat on his face.

I don't believe molting would cause his wings to not work.

Poor fella. Make sure that he has a safe place to sleep at night. Also since he is molting, ensure he is getting enough protein. You can feed an all flock/flock raiser formula or offer extra protein with eggs, tuna, mackerel or meat.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom