Rooster Comb bleeding from frost bite I think???

hit.gif
So sorry to hear about your roo !!

I don't know if that could kill him unless he lost to much blood ?

I am dealing with some frost bite on a few of my hens as well.
Just little black tips. IM slathering them up everyday with bag balm.

It's just so cold this year. We have had 20 below at night. I have 2 heat lamps on and am praying they will be ok.
barnie.gif

I am sorry to read this. You may not be the only one by the way I hear the weather is down stateside. My BO got his comb n wattles frostbit a week ago so I dubbed him last night. He's doing much better now. Maybe this would help you in the future, to dub tall combs and long wattles. So sorry...

Sorry about your roo. In the future, avoid preparations containing topical numbing agent (lidocaine in neosporin - the `+' formulation, for example). the lidocaine can result in cardiac arrest. More so in smaller birds/injuries that allow for dispersal into circulatory system.

Use betadine (`iodine') `tea' instead of peroxide for cleaning/irrigation of wounds. Peroxide can kill healthy tissue.

Once a roo incurs cold damage, and is bleeding owing to hens picking at area. It is probably best to seperate from flock. If this is not possible pine tar cut with plain neosporin (`painted' on injured area) will stop the hen damage immediately (bad tasting) and will aid in healing.

Pine tar is slightly toxic, difficult to work with in the cold, and shouldn't be `slathered' on the comb directly above the eyes (can melt and run).

Below zero past two nights, standard comb, no goop and no frostbite (keeping them in tarped run - coop with good ventilation).

Sorry for your loss. I belive speckledhen had lost her roo from an application of a pain relief neosporin. Or perhaps it was another pain relief type of topical ointment. What ever it was, you do want to avoid the use of pain relief types on birds, as it is toxic and can cause death as ivan3 pointed out. He's also right about peroxide. It's no longer a good thing to use as it kills tissues if repeated often.

OMG I am so worried about this! I just brought by beautiful bantum rooster in with a bloody mess of a comb. Sounds just like yours. I tried to clean it and covered it in bag balm. I have him inside right now but he crows amazingly loud about every 20 seconds so this isn't gonna go over well for very long with my family...

I am SO SO SO sorry about your rooster. Did you ever find out if it was for sure frostbite or if it was something else? Did you have other roosters?? Or lose any other chickens??
I again am so sorry and hate to bring it up again but it just sounds so familier...

Quote:
I have a roo I just brought that sounds like he is in the very same situation. Can I dubb him now since he's already injured??? Will it speed healing or kill him? Ah, hate this injury stuff!

I just dealt with some bumblefoot and was told NOT to use anything with pain reliever in it, it will kill a chicken...sorry for you loss...

Sorry about your roo. In the future, avoid preparations containing topical numbing agent (lidocaine in neosporin - the `+' formulation, for example). the lidocaine can result in cardiac arrest. More so in smaller birds/injuries that allow for dispersal into circulatory system.

Use betadine (`iodine') `tea' instead of peroxide for cleaning/irrigation of wounds. Peroxide can kill healthy tissue.

Once a roo incurs cold damage, and is bleeding owing to hens picking at area. It is probably best to seperate from flock. If this is not possible pine tar cut with plain neosporin (`painted' on injured area) will stop the hen damage immediately (bad tasting) and will aid in healing.

Pine tar is slightly toxic, difficult to work with in the cold, and shouldn't be `slathered' on the comb directly above the eyes (can melt and run).

Below zero past two nights, standard comb, no goop and no frostbite (keeping them in tarped run - coop with good ventilation).

This is some really good advice, so I'm going to hold onto this. I'm a new chicken owner and have been learning a lot of new things and frost bite is one of them. One of my hens has some hard black spots on her comb and I put bag balm on her today. A couple other of my chickens have slight darkening at the tips of their combs so I put bag balm on them too. My question is, should I be applying bag balm to their wattles also and can I put it on all the hens as a preventative?

Back
Top Bottom