Rooster combe parasite/pocks

Marius Raaths

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2015
Hi folks. I have a Sussex hen and rooster which I've had now for some time. I saw now the rooster's combe is severly infected with some parasite or pocks. How do one diagnose this correctly and how do I treat this effectively. Thanks, Any help is greatly appreciated. I did recently acquire about a hundred day old chicks which might have brought the parasite along.

Welcome to BYC. That looks like fowl pox, a virus spread by mosquitoes in warm climate. Do you see any pox scabs on any other chickens? The only other thing I would guess could be a very bad case of favus, a fungal infection. How long has he had this? Fowl pox has no treatment, except to treat any secondary infection in the eyes, and you can also apply iodine to the scabs away from the eyes. For the eyes, an antibiotic ointment can be applied after cleaning them with normal saline.

Thanks for the speedy reply. No other chickens are infected at this stage. I've read up on Google and I think you're correct with the fowl pox. I've read that this can be prevented with the fowl pox vaccine which is done by wing web stab. Is there not a drinking water vaccine available for this yet?

I've vaccinated the chicks and the rooster looks a whole lot better. I could not find the two pronged instrument so had to use a normal needle instead which I think did the trick.

Back
Top Bottom