Rooster Crowing Observations

jeapa

Crowing
10 Years
Jan 4, 2012
My two cockerels recently began crowing and I have been keeping track of when and for how long they crow. They don't crow at dawn, but wait until between 8:30-9:00 am and they will go back and forth for about 15 crows total. Then they will crow again around midday 10-15 crows and again late afternoon just before going into the coop. So on average 3 times a day about 15 crows each time. I expect this will change as they mature and the weather changes from Winter to Spring. I will be choosing which one to keep in the next 6 weeks or so and think once I am down to one there will be even less. I am happy that thus far they have decided to keep their crowing to decent daylight hours.

I thought it would be interesting to read about others experiences with their roosters.

My two cockerels recently began crowing and I have been keeping track of when and for how long they crow. They don't crow at dawn, but wait until between 8:30-9:00 am and they will go back and forth for about 15 crows total. Then they will crow again around midday 10-15 crows and again late afternoon just before going into the coop. So on average 3 times a day about 15 crows each time. I expect this will change as they mature and the weather changes from Winter to Spring. I will be choosing which one to keep in the next 6 weeks or so and think once I am down to one there will be even less. I am happy that thus far they have decided to keep their crowing to decent daylight hours.

I thought it would be interesting to read about others experiences with their roosters.
My boy starts at about 4 am. He also crows when the 2 Silkies lay, usually between 8 and 10 am. For some reason, he doesn't make a fuss over my other girls. He crows whenever he sees anything - squirrels, birds, airplanes, deer, falling leaves, me, my dogs, the neighbors... Then he starts up again at dusk. He goes on a mating spree right before everyone turns in for the night.

Basically, he crows All. Day. Long.

I have never kept meticulous notes like you are, and my chicken coop is a ways away from the house, so often I don't notice it, but the whole crowing at dawn is actually a bit limited in actual rooster behavior. I have had numerous roosters, and one crowed in the dark night. One crowed almost always at sunrise all summer long, but the new fellow I have, he crows, but only occasionally. He is a bit older.

Mrs K

I have two bantam roosters and three standard roosters, one of my bantam roosters is mild-mannered and doesn't crow or mount the hens, while the other one only crows when the other roosters start a 'crow off'. My standard roosters crow in the early morning, about once or twice, but the main crowing problem is when the neighbor's rooster starts going off, then my roosters start crowing back, and the whole property becomes a crowfest 😂

Marion, my in-town rooster, crowed any time he felt like it, including in the wee hours of the night (he may have been triggered by car headlights flashing on the coop).

Fortunately, he had a deep, resonant voice that wasn't unpleasant.

Even more fortunately, one neighbor liked having chickens nearby because he'd grown up on a farm and the other neighbor figured that if we didn't complain about their muscle car they wouldn't complain about our rooster.

My cockerel was only crowing a few times around 5 am until the neighbors got a rooster. Now there's lots of early back and forth crowing and some crowing during the day, but I like to hear him sing and the neighbors are too far away to care.

I really do like the sound of roosters crowing. I am not sure how my neighbors feel about it lol . We have lived here for almost 30 years and for the first 5 we were surrounded by farmland living about 3 miles outside of a small town. Then the suburbia creep started and the farm land became a golf course and big expensive houses. I have occasionally heard a far off distant rooster from the few farms left, but nothing recently.

Sometimes my cockerel will crow when my husband leaves for work, long before daylight. He crows when I go out and open up the coop. When I take out the afternoon treats and clean the coop, he crows after everyone eats.

He crows at other times when I go out and get wood, or leave for the store, or come back from the store, or because he wants to hear the sound of his own voice.

We're out in the boonies, and nobody minds. Or they're far enough away that they can't hear him. This time of year, windows are closed. Last summer, a couple of the neighbors said they like to hear him, and it makes them smile.

Back
Top Bottom