Rooster died, 3 hens not acting normal now

Update:
Cockeral locked up didn't make a difference.
I left a message for the necropsy doctor, but didn't here back today.

The 3 hens are still lethargic & not eating/drinking. I direct dosed them with corid as well as putting it in the water source. I also gave them coconut oil in case there's a blockage.

#1 has a small round mass of grit in her otherwise empty crop, puffed up, head pulled in, and roosting.

#2 will eat some if I hand feed, has a slightly sloshy crop, and just lays there.

#3 has an empty crop, is out with the other hens, but standing around while the others act like chickens.

None are egg bound. 3 don't appear to be molting yet. My molting hens are acting normal.

What are the odds of it being coccidiosis with no bloody stool, yet it's green/white liquid when they go.

I also don't like that it's a coincidence this all happened days after worming. Could there be any connection?

The reason I thought coccidiosis is that they have been scratching around in the pile of damp dirt/chicken poop in the corner of the yard. I clean out my run once a year when the wood chips/poop break down into soil. It normally goes right to the garden, but my back has been killing me, and I piled it up in the corner of the yard last month. :confused:

What dose of safeguard did you give?

I'm not sure if it's coincidental or not. Generally birds are less likely to have worm toxicity when using Fenbendazole.
What type of worms were you treating?

I would work on hydrating them. Push the mixed Corid water a well.
Crops not emptying, could be Sour, but it's odd to have more than one bird to have crop issues unless they all ate something in common.

.24 ml per pound, once a day, for 5 days
I'm not sure if it's coincidental or not. Generally birds are less likely to have worm toxicity when using Fenbendazole.
I believe they were round worms, but not 100%. One of them had diarrhea in front of me and I saw a couple worms moving around in it.
Definitely
Crops not emptying, could be Sour, but it's odd to have more than one bird to have crop issues unless they all ate something in common.
That was my thought, especially since they have different feeling crops.

Crops not emptying, could be Sour, but it's odd to have more than one bird to have crop issues unless they all ate something in
Thank you, by the way. You're always very helpful. I'm not new to this, but it's nice to have a place, and people, to bounce ideas off of.

Graphic poop picture:
The more sickly of the two hens just passed this. I noticed some under the roost last night, but didn't know who it was. The white is mucousy. The other sick hen passed a slightly more solid version of this. I've never seen this before. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20210926_153913.jpg
    20210926_153913.jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 3
Could be a blockage.
I would give some coconut oil to see if that helps get things moving.
I gave her some Saturday & Sunday evening.
They didn't eat any moldy feed did they? I know here, feed can mold quickly if spilled on the ground (overnight a lot of times).
I don't think so. I use the no spill feeders. I did spill some the other day, but I cleaned it up as best I could.

Could be a blockage.
I would give some coconut oil to see if that helps get things moving.

They didn't eat any moldy feed did they? I know here, feed can mold quickly if spilled on the ground (overnight a lot of times).
I just went to turn on her light and check on her in the bathroom. She died sometime last night. I'm going to do a home necropsy to see if there's anything obvious I can see.
The other hen came off the roost with everyone this morning. I'm hoping it's cocci, and I caught it in time for her. The hen that died has gone broody once a month, since March. We would break her with a broody cage, but she was weaker because of the constant broodiness.

In case anyone needs this thread in the future, I'll post the results from the necropsy.

Back
Top Bottom