Pics
I did, and it didn't go well. Mind you, I only added one. He only survived about 2 weeks :(

Oh no! That sucks :( and is one of the risks I thought wasn't worth it at the moment.

I'm already regretting giving all four up though. I really liked the Marans and should have just kept him with the ladies; the ladies are just kept too close to the neighbours and he would have needed a crow collar. You live and learn I guess. Here's a photo of the handsome devil:

IMG_20190227_190903.jpg

That's strange. Every time I've added a single rooster it's been fine, as long as the coop was big enough. :hmm
This coop wasn't big enough, and the -35 temps were keeping them all inside. I did not intend to have as large a roo flock as i do but temps changed too early last fall and i was unable to process any. Right now I've got 13 boys in one coop & 3 more in with the girls.

Hi!

I don't have a rooster flock (yet) but this seemed like an environment where advice would be less likely to focus on eating the roos...

We rescue ex-bats/commercial layers. We got to the stage where we only had one hen left with our rooster, who is just over 1 and was taken in by us from someone who thought he was a hen and din't want her any more. Anyway, that's another story! We added 5 ex-barn hens on Sunday. They're currently in the main coop within our 'chickery'.

Yesterday we got a message about two chickens abandoned at the side of the road, which we then caught and brought home. One is definitely a cockerel, the other is probably a hen and they're both black so not our usual Rhode Island red hybrids.

They are currently in our quarantine coop, again within the main chickery. We now have two coops in the chickery, which is 2.4 m by 4.8 m and just over 2 m tall. We plan to extend this at the weekend if we are going to keep the new two. Or possibly just anyway, if we can. Currently our oldest two will be roosting in a small, separate enclosure that we knocked up last night and having the run of the chickery during the day.

My question is - is it possible for two cocks/roos to live together, and if so, how do we do that? People have advised on my thread about the two road-side birds that they may be a bonded pair, if that makes a difference.

I will re-home the new two if I have to but I would rather keep them if possible so the male doesn't get eaten!

It’s very rare you can take to grow roosters and integrate them,however it’s not impossible.Do you know the ages of the two roosters?Young males are way easier to integrate then trying to integrate two adult males.
This probably consists of a lot of separation caging, and time, this could take weeks to get them to get along well, you have to understand chickens are driven by territory and resources, maybe keep them in one section of yard, in a new cage but just side by side, then a few weeks from now, realest them all into a new cage, changing things up could help them situation,possibly.

Do you know breeds?
Hi!

I don't have a rooster flock (yet) but this seemed like an environment where advice would be less likely to focus on eating the roos...

We rescue ex-bats/commercial layers. We got to the stage where we only had one hen left with our rooster, who is just over 1 and was taken in by us from someone who thought he was a hen and din't want her any more. Anyway, that's another story! We added 5 ex-barn hens on Sunday. They're currently in the main coop within our 'chickery'.

Yesterday we got a message about two chickens abandoned at the side of the road, which we then caught and brought home. One is definitely a cockerel, the other is probably a hen and they're both black so not our usual Rhode Island red hybrids.

They are currently in our quarantine coop, again within the main chickery. We now have two coops in the chickery, which is 2.4 m by 4.8 m and just over 2 m tall. We plan to extend this at the weekend if we are going to keep the new two. Or possibly just anyway, if we can. Currently our oldest two will be roosting in a small, separate enclosure that we knocked up last night and having the run of the chickery during the day.

My question is - is it possible for two cocks/roos to live together, and if so, how do we do that? People have advised on my thread about the two road-side birds that they may be a bonded pair, if that makes a difference.

I will re-home the new two if I have to but I would rather keep them if possible so the male doesn't get eaten!

Thank you for your reply. The existing rooster is just over a year, most likely a Rhode Island or hybrid. He was given out as chick at a local kids' attraction. The new one I've no idea as they were a pair of 'strays' but he's black with grey-ish legs. Pics (existing cokerel pictured when much younger):
45457317_328793661282262_5321446342097108992_n.jpg
56448981_429957944241903_5565293290716135424_n.jpg

First one looks like a game mix,which means it’s likely not gonna work, although I’m not sure it’s a game, you could still try.The black looks like an austrolorp, but I don’t think it is based off its shape.They look gamefish too.
I would say try it, and if it doesn’t work out, your gonna either keep them separated or give them away.Also,do some research on game birds it’ll help a lot.

I don't know how game birds are different but I will go and find out, thank you! Hugo is quite a bit younger in that pic and has filled out a lot.

We are probably going to keep them in a bolt-on to our existing chickery but with no access to the other birds and their own little coop. They will all be able to see each other but Hugo will keep his harem and this guy will have his single lady.

Back
Top Bottom