Pics
question for you all, and a little summary of my situation:

I am putting together a coop for the all rooster flock.
I already have my head rooster I like, and after ordering the Cackle surprise I have a few (10ish) extra Roos.
The flock makeup is

1 CCL (head) rooster
30 ish different breed of adult hens
**2 teenage (Pain in the butt) roosters (broody hatched)**
Approx 60 (11 week old) cackle surprise
25 (11 week old) Ideal hatchery pullets
* everyone freeranges together and the flock is completely content except for one thing....

I have witnessed the 2 teenage roosters try to breed my 11 week old pullets. I won't have that!! and I am not sure if it's because of the age, if I should just cull them now.
To me this doesn't seem normal.
I know that the hormones are raging, yet 11 week old pullets should not have to endure this, and if I don't do anything, one of them will end up being injured.

The coop is really being built for the 11 week old roosters I have, and won't be ready for another week at least.

Suggestions on this behavior?
Is it normal for this age?
They also breed with the adult hens while the head roosters back is turned. So they are not just going for the chicks.
It's normal behavior. The pullets will be fine until the rooster coop is finished. If the cockerels grab their combs too hard and draw blood, or pull out too many feathers, you can put them in a small, temporary cage like a dog carrier.

Yes, young males often will rape and mate pullets, a mature rooster won’t breed with any who don’t lay, or aren’t of age yet.
What your witnessing is normal and the best thing to do is separate the boys, often times they will grow out of the super hormonal stage.
OK, I have had roosters before, just don't remember any of them doing this.
It made me wonder if these two guys were culls or not. Since I never witnessed this before I assumed they would only go for the laying hens.
They are in a separate area for now.
Thank you!!

It’s always been the opposite for me.My boys seem to like the aggression the older hens give off, not sure why but the pullets just often aren’t targeted nearly as much.
I wish that were the case here!
They are (were) targeting anyone and everyone!!
They were also attacking the younger roosters.(this I know is normal)

It's normal behavior. The pullets will be fine until the rooster coop is finished. If the cockerels grab their combs too hard and draw blood, or pull out too many feathers, you can put them in a small, temporary cage like a dog carrier.
Yes they seem to like to target the easiest ones like the favorelles, Cochins and any other sweet natured chick.
Drives me nuts!!

My cockerels have done this too but some are worse than others.
How they respond to this influx of hormones will help me determine who I keep and who goes to freezer camp.
Some cockerels actually seem to target pullets because they’re afraid of the mature hens who won’t tolerate their behavior and also because the dominant rooster doesn’t show interest in immature pullets.
Although the mature rooster will usually not allow the cockerels to breed anyone.
I feel like the pullets are just an easy target unfortunately.
Hmm, wish I had a basis point to compare these guys too.

P_20190725_144227.jpg

This cockerel beat up the other OEGB, so lives with the hens for now (the others are in a separate pen). They are together when I let them out to free range. I'm a bit worried that the pen I'm using for the chicks isn't big enough for two bantam roos to get away form each other. I might have to shuffle them around a bit.

Before, I had two roo flocks. One had Belial and Domino, and the other had Lupin, Horus, Griffin, and Chester. I switched it around so now there's one flock with Chester and Griffin, and the other has everyone else. I did this because Chester was being beat up and the only one that wasn't bothering him was Griffin. I'm certain that, if they had a bigger coop, they would be able to get away from each other and there would be no problems. But, I can't make my coop bigger at this time, so I'll just have to have two rooster coops.

How's everyone else's flocks?

View attachment 1865007
This cockerel beat up the other OEGB, so lives with the hens for now (the others are in a separate pen). They are together when I let them out to free range. I'm a bit worried that the pen I'm using for the chicks isn't big enough for two bantam roos to get away form each other. I might have to shuffle them around a bit.
If you give them a few hidey-holes (with two entry/exit spots so they can't trap each other) they should be fine. I'd give them two perches, too, maybe of different heights, but long enough for them to share if they decide to play nice ... which they might just decide is a good plan, come winter!

Before, I had two roo flocks. One had Belial and Domino, and the other had Lupin, Horus, Griffin, and Chester. I switched it around so now there's one flock with Chester and Griffin, and the other has everyone else. I did this because Chester was being beat up and the only one that wasn't bothering him was Griffin. I'm certain that, if they had a bigger coop, they would be able to get away from each other and there would be no problems. But, I can't make my coop bigger at this time, so I'll just have to have two rooster coops.

How's everyone else's flocks?
This was a rough hatch year ... heavy on the testosterone side, so my bachelor flock doubled to eight, this summer. That was really overwhelming for my Silkie. Poor Herman ended up hiding with his head buried in the corner for protection. The Boys are currently in two side-by-side coop/runs with just a hardware cloth barrier between them. Hopefully, I can open it back up in a few weeks. It's much harder to keep feeders and waterers clean in close quarters ... and the boys are MUCH noisier, now!

Back
Top Bottom