That's what I was thinking. I sketched up some plans. I figure I will have a maximum of 40 roosters at any given time. More likely closer to 30. I was planning on making the roosting area and feed and water area 6 foot tall to be able to walk into. The rest I was going to make with 4 foot tall welded wire fencing and covering it to keep hawks out. It won't need to be as tall in that area because I won't have to walk around in there getting eggs or anything. If I used a 100 foot roll that would give them about 700 square feet if you add the square footage of the roost. Plus they would be able to free range when the hens were cooped up. I was planning on setting up some hiding places for the younger ones about a foot off the ground. If they needed to get away the worst that could happen under a low shelter would be getting pecked since they wouldn't be able spur underneath.
Sounds good. Maybe put a few feeders or waterers in different locations than the rest, just so any newly added roos (they sometimes get bullied for a little while before being accepted) can get enough food and water.

If i were to separate the rooster(within sight and hearing range)of my hens would they fight and would it be possible to selectively breed them, take one rooster put it in, than take it out?
Yup, but I think it depends a lot on the breed you have. I switch out my Nankin roos regularly. As long as they stay within sight and touch (wire between the runs) they're fine. So far, we've had no real aggression when they all go back together.
I love my bachelor flock. They're so beautiful!

I have a question about nutrition for the boys.

My 4 roosters are about 1 year old now. Three are sweethearts...one is still trying to dominate me.

I've been feeding them layer pellets and table scraps, simply because it's what I feed the girls and is also the cheapest option from any of the local feed stores. This layer feed is about $18 for 20kg and is feeling a bit uneconomical.

I've managed to source some great quality, high protein wheat for $20 for 40kg. I'm planning on buying some anyway to use for scratch for the ladies, but thinking about using it to replace the layer pellets entirely for the boys. This would mean they're just eating table scraps and wheat. Will this be a sufficient enough diet?

What's everyone else feeding theirs?

I am rooster110,this is my original account because I lost my password to this oen so I had to make a new one,which is rooster110,but figured it out.

And no,Zeus is a New Hampshire.
Lovely roosters! Do they have names?

Yes, it is usually easier to integrate them if they grew up together. However, even if they did grow up together, that does not guarantee that they will get along perfectly with each other.
My roosters definitely crow more when they can see and interact with the hens.

Very pretty roosters! Is Zeus a production red?
I haven't ever had a problem with frostbite, but I've never heard of wattles growing back.

No enough Protien,I would feed all flock.

My 4 roosters are about 1 year old now. Three are sweethearts...one is still trying to dominate me.

I've been feeding them layer pellets and table scraps, simply because it's what I feed the girls and is also the cheapest option from any of the local feed stores. This layer feed is about $18 for 20kg and is feeling a bit uneconomical.

I've managed to source some great quality, high protein wheat for $20 for 40kg. I'm planning on buying some anyway to use for scratch for the ladies, but thinking about using it to replace the layer pellets entirely for the boys. This would mean they're just eating table scraps and wheat. Will this be a sufficient enough diet?

No enough Protien,I would feed all flock.

What percentage of protein would you suggest is enough? The wheat I've been able to source is 13% protein and with the boys at a year old now, they're fully grown. I'd have thought 13% for non-meat birds who have no ability to lay eggs would be more than sufficient.

I was more concerned about micro-nutrients such as essential vitamins and minerals than I was macro-nutrients.

As the feed I'm giving the whole flock now is about 20% protein, maybe a 50/50 mix of whole wheat and layer feed would get closer to those micro/macro levels. That way I'm reducing intake of calcium and other minerals that can do harm to roosters in larger quantities.

How much square ft per bird does a rooster flock need?

Anecdotally, mine have 3 distinct joined areas. The run is 2m*2m. Coop is an ex horse stable at 4m*3m. And there's a roosting section in the coop for the third section. It gives them heaps of space to get away from each other, and I've never seen them fight. The coop is also not visible from the run.

I have 4 Roosters. 2 x Black Sex Links and 2 x Red Sex Links. Yours are Silkies, which are generally less aggressive, so you may be able to get away with less.

I think, in the long run, a table scrap and wheat diet would probably not have all the nutrients that your roosters need.

I feed my roosters (and hens) flock raiser.
What percentage of protein would you suggest is enough? The wheat I've been able to source is 13% protein and with the boys at a year old now, they're fully grown. I'd have thought 13% for non-meat birds who have no ability to lay eggs would be more than sufficient.

I was more concerned about micro-nutrients such as essential vitamins and minerals than I was macro-nutrients.

As the feed I'm giving the whole flock now is about 20% protein, maybe a 50/50 mix of whole wheat and layer feed would get closer to those micro/macro levels. That way I'm reducing intake of calcium and other minerals that can do harm to roosters in larger quantities.
Why don't you just feed all your flock a feed like grower? Then your roosters would have all the nutrients they need without all that extra calcium. Hens can have feeds without calcium as well, as long as you give the actively laying ones oyster shells on the side.

Back
Top Bottom