rooster flogged son

I don't know if I have ever read a definition of flogging... just have a working definition;) What we call flogging around here is when a rooster attacks you (claws, maybe spurs, beak) and beats you with his wings.

The rooster was on his best behavior yesterday. He is really a sweetie, but many animals try to establish dominance. I have been around many good dogs that try to establish dominance at first. I just didn't know if a rooster will continue to try for dominance or if pecking order is firmly established. I watch the kids very closely and keep them close even with so much land where they could be in sight, so we will keep a close eye on things unless I hear that a rooster trying for dominance will always try for dominance.

Sometimes kicking at a rooster can make him fight back. Be very careful for some reason roosters look at small children as a threat.

I had a mean one, something finally got him. I was relieved. I hate having to watch my back the whole time I am outside.

No more mean roosters here. If they are mean they gotta go.

All you guys stories are so funny!!!!
lau.gif

My Lakenvelder flogged my wife once and me twice. I beat him up with a plastic bucket the second time. (Actually I didn't hurt him just wounded his pride.) Well, after the third strike I was committed to sending him to frezzer camp in a couple of weeks when I planned to cull a few pullets. That's been 2 months ago and he's not come after us again. Maybe it was just his juvenile exhuberance as the pullets were just starting to lay. I'm hoping he's settled down as he is a real beauty, fun to watch, and the only roo for my 7 hens.

I never let young children around him unsupervised, though.

I've been following this thread since I posted my wacky story and I've seen one prevalent trend... don't trust your child to be alone with an animal. I may be an overprotective mom, but I don't let my daughter play with any of our animals alone.

Chickens flog. Dogs roughouse and can bite. Goats butt. Cows stomp. Horses kick and bite. The unexpected can happen with the most loving pet.

I LOVE my animals; but I know that no matter what sort of human personality characteristics I project onto them, they are still animals. If they are hurt, feel threatened or "in the mood," they are probably going to show a totally different side to their personality.

BUT, if my rooster attacks, he's off to the sale or the stew pot.

I had to learn the hard way too. My one yr old VERY gentle roo all of a sudden decided he was going to flog my son. My son kicked him and he never did try flogging him again while we had him but I just couldn't keep him. I was so scared that he would get an eye or something. So I decided to rehome
sad.png
It was a sad day because he was a very sweet roo. I was just too scared to keep him and trust that he would not try that again. My son can now run down to the hen house without having to be worried hes going to be attacked. He loves that!

Well, I think the rooster has already made his decision. I have a Leghorn rooster that is mean as dirt. Walk by his cage and he will jump at you. I let him out ONCE, and it was Not Good. So, I need him to produce babies, I put him in a breeding pen with a hen, and that is where he stays. I have an Orphington Rooster that has been free ranged in my field for a year. That boy hasn't bothered a one of us. I have no reason to lock him up. If the day comes he attacks us, he too will cease to be loose. Freezer camp him or lock him up, but he has shown what he can do. As far as the kid thing? We have about 12 acres pastured, when the kids were younger they had to stay where I could see them, out in the open. Now, at 13 and 15, I will let them go in the pastured part of the woods- but only with the German Shephard and Great Pyrness. If you do not have a good kid dog, get one- they are a life saver with kids on a farm- there is always a dog with a kid to do what I cannot- watch over them 24 hours a day.

I just joined BackYard Chickens but I have 65 chickens and one of my roos flogged my grandson and my husband put him up. then when the grandbaby left we let him out and he would attack me so we had to get rid of alfred and a couple other roosters. Now I have 3 roos and the rest are hens. It so nice to be able to go out to my chicken yard and not get attacked, now i can play with the rest of chickens.
big_smile.png
yippiechickie.gif
:

Back
Top Bottom