Rooster getting "groomed"

Smiggle2406

Hatching
Nov 6, 2021
I have a 2-year-old rooster in a flock of 38 hens and recently they have started to peck at his feathers, not in an aggressive way but almost as if they are grooming them but it has gotten to a point where he is struggling to fly and there are bare patches on him. I am worried that as we come into summer flies may lag maggots in his developing sores and was wondering if anyone has any ideas

thx

Welcome to BYC.
I've had that happen with one of my roosters in a group of 10 hens. I removed the rooster over to another pen with 2 hens a year ago and there hasnt been any picking issues.

I then put a younger rooster in with the group of 10 hens and the same thing happened after about the third week. I removed him over to another pen with 3 hens and there hasnt been any picking problems.
I've decided not to put any roosters in with the group of ten and they are doing fine without a rooster, no problems.

In your situation, you can remove your rooster to another pen/coop with a small group of hens if you wish, where the rooster isnt easily outnumbered.
Normally it is recommended 7-10 hens per rooster.
You dont want to add another rooster in your flock because the roosters will fight each other unless they are separated with their own group of hens.

Your other option is to put blinders (peepers) on all your hens. They work, but it'll be fun trying to put them on 38 hens.

Pinless peepers for all the girls, then I'd really observe who in the flock is doing most of the grooming - might be worth it to give those 2-3 worst offenders a time out, to try to reset the pecking order, and let the big guy heal. Def treat his wounds - triple antibiotic ointment, wound spray, povidone iodine, whatever you've got.

Pinless peepers for all the girls, then I'd really observe who in the flock is doing most of the grooming - might be worth it to give those 2-3 worst offenders a time out, to try to reset the pecking order, and let the big guy heal. Def treat his wounds - triple antibiotic ointment, wound spray, povidone iodine, whatever you've got.
Thanks for the advice how long would I leave the peeper on the hens got or would it be a permanent thing?

Back
Top Bottom