Rooster hanging out in nesting box?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MissHenrietta, Dec 6, 2018.

1. MissHenrietta

MissHenrietta In the Brooder

Nov 27, 2018
    Upstate NY
    I have a 6 month-old Leghorn Rooster that has been hanging out on and off in one of my girls’ favorite nesting boxes. This morning I walked out and he was sitting on 2 eggs. Can roosters be broody? Is this a thing? lol None of my hens are broody at all. Is there something else I should be concerned about? He seems very healthy. Another time, one of my hens climbed into the box and he got right in there with her. I’m still pretty new to this whole chicken owner thing, so maybe this is normal behavior, but it just seems odd to me :hmm

2. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    No, roosters can't go broody. Possibly he just thinks the box is a comfortable place to sit, or he's trying to take care of his girls.

3. Trish1974

Trish1974 Araucana enthusiast

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    My Coop
    Does he make any sounds while he's doing this? My cockbird will do that (in front of the hens), making soft purring sounds and arranging the straw as if he is showing them where to lay. (Little does he know they were laying there before he was even born :lol:). I find this to "gentleman-ly" behavior.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Roosters will select a nest box and call the hens to it while scratching and forming a nest as @Trish1974 has suggested.

5. azygous

azygous Free Ranging

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Yes, some roosters, depending on breed, can decide to incubate eggs along with a hen as well as assist in brooding them. @centrarchid had a rooster do this and documented it. (I can't find this thread, though)

This charming rooster behavior - wanting to participate in nesting with the hens - is normal behavior and pretty common. I'd go so far as to claim it's probably as common as tid-bitting to attract the girls.

6. Shadrach

Shadrach Crowing

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    I think the most likely explanation is he is trying to encourage the hens to sit.

7. Chickassan

Chickassan Crossing the Road

Yes some roosters just make and sit on nests. It is one of the better things they can do with their time. The one here is nutty about it, any new hay I put out gets a nest pronto! He's quite a nuciance during coop cleaning as he won't wait until i'm finished.

azygous, EggWalrus and MissHenrietta like this.
  8. Shamo Hybrid

Shamo Hybrid Songster

Jun 6, 2018
    I've seen roosters rear chicks once they are hatched, but I've never seen one go broody and set on eggs.

9. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! And Nuts For Horses!

Jun 9, 2017
    N.W. Missouri
    Roosters will find "good places to lay an egg" and the sit there, scratch, make little clucking noises, to draw the hens over.

10. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Crowing

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    This may not apply but sometimes roosters will hide in a nest box when they are afraid of something. Such a a mean hen or another rooster. :oops:

ChooksNQuilts and MissHenrietta like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: