Rooster hanging out in nesting box?

MissHenrietta

Chirping
Nov 27, 2018
Upstate NY
I have a 6 month-old Leghorn Rooster that has been hanging out on and off in one of my girls’ favorite nesting boxes. This morning I walked out and he was sitting on 2 eggs. Can roosters be broody? Is this a thing? lol None of my hens are broody at all. Is there something else I should be concerned about? He seems very healthy. Another time, one of my hens climbed into the box and he got right in there with her. I’m still pretty new to this whole chicken owner thing, so maybe this is normal behavior, but it just seems odd to me :hmm

I have a 6 month-old Leghorn Rooster that has been hanging out on and off in one of my girls’ favorite nesting boxes. This morning I walked out and he was sitting on 2 eggs. Can roosters be broody? Is this a thing? lol None of my hens are broody at all. Is there something else I should be concerned about? He seems very healthy. Another time, one of my hens climbed into the box and he got right in there with her. I’m still pretty new to this whole chicken owner thing, so maybe this is normal behavior, but it just seems odd to me :hmm
Does he make any sounds while he's doing this? My cockbird will do that (in front of the hens), making soft purring sounds and arranging the straw as if he is showing them where to lay. (Little does he know they were laying there before he was even born :lol:). I find this to "gentleman-ly" behavior.

Yes, some roosters, depending on breed, can decide to incubate eggs along with a hen as well as assist in brooding them. @centrarchid had a rooster do this and documented it. (I can't find this thread, though)

This charming rooster behavior - wanting to participate in nesting with the hens - is normal behavior and pretty common. I'd go so far as to claim it's probably as common as tid-bitting to attract the girls.

Back
Top Bottom