Rooster has contracted claw

Suzie

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Auvergne
I have a friend that has a rooster that is unable to walk properly as one foot has the claws tightly contracted. The rooster has been seen by a Vet and given pain medication and antibiotics all to no avail as despite being rested there is no improvement. The Vet did x rays and found no breaks. Can anyone suggest if a splint of sorts can be used to spread the clawed foot out into a normal position? Any help would be much appreciated.

How old is the rooster? Was he vaccinated for Mareks disease? Can the owner straighten his toes to make them flat? Could he have suffered an injury that caused nerve damage? I would try some vitamin B complex, 1/4 tablet daily crushed onto food or in a spoonful of water, which has riboflavin, and it might help.

Thanks; that would be ideal but we are in France.
How old is the rooster? Was he vaccinated for Mareks disease? Could he have suffered an injury that caused nerve damage? I would try some vitamin B complex, 1/4 tablet daily crushed onto food or in a spoonful of water, which has riboflavin, and it might help.
He is a youngster, a few months old and it could well be nerve damage as there were no breaks to his leg from the x rays, I will suggest my friend try Vitamin B complex. I doubt he was vaccinated for Mareks disease but that could be the issue. Thank you so much for your suggestions! x

Thanks; that would be ideal but we are in France.

He is a youngster, a few months old and it could well be nerve damage as there were no breaks to his leg from the x rays, I will suggest my friend try Vitamin B complex. I doubt he was vaccinated for Mareks disease but that could be the issue. Thank you so much for your suggestions! x
At that age I would suspect Mareks disease especially if he is weak or paralyzed in that leg. Does he hold it up or put weight on it, or drag it? Curled toe paralysis cannbe from riboflavin deficiency, but also can be an early sign of Mareks. Have them try the B vitamins or B complex. Liver or nutritional yeast can also be used to supply riboflavin. Here is some reading about Mareks:
http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/Documents/vdl-mareks-disease-fact-sheet.pdf

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Back
Top Bottom