Rooster has horrible smell

Can you post some photos of what you found in the ears?

It sounds like he has an ear infection. @dawg53 has instructions in an older thread HERE
(he may have updated info). The only thing I would personally change in that thread would be the Tylan50 dosage. Weigh your fella to get his weight and dose him at .20cc per 1 pound of weight 2-3times per day for 5days in a row. Give it to him orally.

I would treat the whole flock, but it would be a good idea to inspect each one - look inside the beak and at the ears (and smell them too;)) to see if anyone else has similar symptoms.
I really hope it's not a respiratory disease... a few of my other hens look like they have the same facial swelling... If it's something I can't get rid of and I'll just keep having to treat it with stronger antibiotics, like dawg53 said, I think I should just put him down. I hate to say that, but as i said, i'm already dealing with a lot. Tomorrow I'll check my other hens' ears.

Last edited:
Please don’t put him down yet unless you are unwilling to try some treatments first. He looks beautiful and healthy. Plus, it sounded like he was mostly fine. Everyone has already been exposed anyway. Good luck!
Yeah I know. I think he'll probably be fine, I'm just on high alert right now because of everything else that's been going on in my flock. Trust me, I'll do everything i can to keep him around. He's the biggest, most beautiful rooster I've ever had and he's so gentle with the hens.

He sounds wonderful. And I’m sorry if I sounded preachy. We are here to support you no matter what you decide, but I think this big, beautiful boy can get through this.
No, actually I'm glad you gave me that answer. I tend to look at the worst possible scenario, so it was nice to see someone be positive about it. Really makes me feel better about my poor rooster.

20180701_072935.jpg

Okay so you can kind of see the infection but I couldn't get a picture close enough to see inside the ear. His other ear is mostly fine, this was the only ear that seemed noticably bad.

I tried to upload a video but even at 10 seconds long, it said the file was too large. He's sneezed a few times but he's been pretty active today.

Thats what i figured you would say. I have to wait until I can go to tractor supply but when i can, I'll treat the whole flock. I've only had chickens for a few years but i have always taken pretty good care of them. For some reason I've been dealing with a bunch of different problems all at once that I've never had to treat before... I have 3 hens who I discovered have bumblefoot, I had the worms and lice.
Can i give him the medicine on a piece of bread? I did that for his dewormer and it worked a lot better than trying to hold his mouth open while I push a syringe in his face.
Also, i will post more pics in the morning

I went back and edited my post. I left the *NOT* out:he I sometimes type too fast, I'm sorry for any confusion.
Do not treat the whole flock. Only treat birds that have obvious signs of illness (symptoms). So basically, this little fella is the one to treat:) You can try the Tylan50 on bread to see if he will take it. I have heard that it is bitter, so you may need to syringe it into him. This THREAD has some great tips and photos on giving oral medication.

I agree with @micstrachan don't cull at this time. IF he has a respiratory disease, your flock has already been exposed - I do realize, a lot depends on your goals, a lot of people do cull when they have respiratory illness to help prevent spread. There are other reasons to have ear infection-respiratory illness is one, ear mites, getting dirt/debris in the ear (chickens dirt bath, scratch the ear, etc. this can introduce bacteria that festers in the ear) and there is also ear canker which goes along with Canker (inside the beak). Let's do a little hoping that he has mites or he got something in the ear.

You mention that you had lice and worms - what did you treat with?

FOR VIDEO : upload to youtube or similar platform then provide us a link. The BYC upload does not work.

Back
Top Bottom