Rooster has Swollen Eye.?

shelbyw

Songster
6 Years
Jul 1, 2015
North Carolina
My Coop
My Coop
Hey everyone:frowSo I noticed today that when I went out to bring in the chickens, that my rooster has a swollen eye:/ He doesn’t seem bothered by it and is acting normal, but it seems like maybe his feathers around his eye might be poking him in the eye..? There is no puss coming from it and he doesn’t have any signs of upper or lower respiratory issues so I don’t know what it might be except that his feathers might be bothering him a little. He is almost 5 and he is getting over scaly leg mites. He got the mites from the people I had to give him to because my previous location didn’t like everyone having chickens :idunnoHe stayed there for about 1 year and got them really bad to the point of where it was on his comb in spots. Anyways, is it common for silkies to have their feathers to get into their eyes and irritate it? Any suggestions on what I can use to heal it? :hmm I put a comparison picture in there of his other eye so you could see it. I handle him everyday and for his check over, I saw this

Attachments

• 7A5B957B-5427-4D4A-BBD5-5F507E8674ED.jpeg
    7A5B957B-5427-4D4A-BBD5-5F507E8674ED.jpeg
    396.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 571BEDDA-8293-4980-B4E4-FC57D8849DB7.jpeg
    571BEDDA-8293-4980-B4E4-FC57D8849DB7.jpeg
    552.7 KB · Views: 15
  • C2066DAA-FFEC-4550-9B6C-5DB8B7E4256E.jpeg
    C2066DAA-FFEC-4550-9B6C-5DB8B7E4256E.jpeg
    537.1 KB · Views: 14
Here is another picture I took of him. It’s not really close but it is a little bit of a better angle. I zoomed in.

Attachments

• BE30BC83-3380-4F44-8580-60FE01BD90A2.jpeg
    BE30BC83-3380-4F44-8580-60FE01BD90A2.jpeg
    290.6 KB · Views: 16
Yes, this little guy does look a little swollen. Can you gently try to squeeze the pus out? There are several threads on the subject here.
I can try to, he is very patient with me so I am sure he will let me do it. I am considering also getting eyedrops or treating it as conjunctivitis, because I don’t want to risk any problems. Thanks :)

Hi! I have a hen who had swelling around the eye very much like that. I put some eye wash in, tried squeezing a bit but had no results. I took her to the vet and she said the eye itself was fine, it was soft tissue swelling from injury. No further treatment was necessary so I felt so lucky. The only thing I could think of was she was roosting up high and probably hit the wall of the coop coming down. Within a week she was fine.

I am no expert but I just thought I'd share my experience with you. I did NOT want to go mucking about with an eye unless I really had to. Good luck with your lovely bird!

Hi! I have a hen who had swelling around the eye very much like that. I put some eye wash in, tried squeezing a bit but had no results. I took her to the vet and she said the eye itself was fine, it was soft tissue swelling from injury. No further treatment was necessary so I felt so lucky. The only thing I could think of was she was roosting up high and probably hit the wall of the coop coming down. Within a week she was fine.

I am no expert but I just thought I'd share my experience with you. I did NOT want to go mucking about with an eye unless I really had to. Good luck with your lovely bird!
Thank you so much! I did not get anything out of his either and it seems to be going down. I have been doing hot compresses on his eye twice a day and I clipped the feathers back that could have been bothering it.

What eye medicine are you waiting for? You can buy Terracymin eye ointment from a feed store, but I will even use plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic ointment if needed. Use it twice a day after cleaning any gunk from the eye. Since many chickens have conjunctivitis or pinkeye from a mycoplasma sinus infection, treatment with a systemic antibiotic may be helpful. Tylan 50 from a feed store, or others, such as Baytril (enrofloxacin,) denagard, are also ised. Here is a good link for Baytril 10% liquid 100 ml:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/misc/

What eye medicine are you waiting for? You can buy Terracymin eye ointment from a feed store, but I will even use plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic ointment if needed. Use it twice a day after cleaning any gunk from the eye. Since many chickens have conjunctivitis or pinkeye from a mycoplasma sinus infection, treatment with a systemic antibiotic may be helpful. Tylan 50 from a feed store, or others, such as Baytril (enrofloxacin,) denagard, are also ised. Here is a good link for Baytril 10% liquid 100 ml:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/misc/
I ordered the Terracymin online for him but I do have some Neosporin I could use as well.

Back
Top Bottom