Rooster help

renren

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2021
So, I finally got chickens (woo!), but they seem a bit skittish of whenever I’m around. The rooster, crowd whenever I am in their coop, but he doesn’t move to attack me or anything. I read that holding the rooster is a good way to establish yourself at the top of the pack so to speak. However, as it’s the first time we have chickens, I am not entirely knowledgeable on how to pick them up. So—the questions I have:
-Given the rooster’s behavior, is it safe for me to try to pick him up?
-Does the rooster think I’m also a rooster and that’s why he’s crowing?
-What’s the best way to pick up the rooster?

So, I finally got chickens (woo!), but they seem a bit skittish of whenever I’m around. The rooster, crowd whenever I am in their coop, but he doesn’t move to attack me or anything. I read that holding the rooster is a good way to establish yourself at the top of the pack so to speak. However, as it’s the first time we have chickens, I am not entirely knowledgeable on how to pick them up. So—the questions I have:
-Given the rooster’s behavior, is it safe for me to try to pick him up?
-Does the rooster think I’m also a rooster and that’s why he’s crowing?
-What’s the best way to pick up the rooster?
Has he done anything other strange around you? Sometimes crowing can be a dominance thing, and sometimes not. In my own opinion based on the experience of having three roosters, they are either nice or not nice. But sometimes they aren’t nice because of other rooster completion, and sometimes they just suck as a rooster. My mean rooster did crow a lot more often in my presence than my nice ones, but my nice ones grow too. I wouldn’t worry about picking him up unless he starts following you or shuffling his feet toward you. Personally picking them up hadn’t worked for me though.

Has he done anything other strange around you? Sometimes crowing can be a dominance thing, and sometimes not. In my own opinion based on the experience of having three roosters, they are either nice or not nice. But sometimes they aren’t nice because of other rooster completion, and sometimes they just suck as a rooster. My mean rooster did crow a lot more often in my presence than my nice ones, but my nice ones grow too. I wouldn’t worry about picking him up unless he starts following you or shuffling his feet toward you. Personally picking them up hadn’t worked for me though.
hasn’t—he was hand raised by the lady I got him from and she told me he was real sweet, but like I said—first time owning chickens.

as far as i’m aware, he hasn’t—he was hand raised by the lady I got him from and she told me he was real sweet, but like I said—first time owning chickens.

I learned how to best pick up my chickens from watching an experienced 8-yr old neighbor boy: he just went in and and scooped up the one he wanted to hold. It sounds like your guy has a history of being friendly. I do not recommend hand-feeding treats to him, however, so he learns respect for your hand (not as a food source). Treats thrown on the ground are fine. My rooster is my favorite, he has such a huge personality! :)

I should add—whenever I get into the coop, they all go into one corner. If I stand around in there long enough, they go about their business.

Edit: Chester just tried to mate in front of me, is this a display of dominance as well? I got him to stop by being loud, so hopefully he realizes that that won’t go around here while I’m around

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom