Rooster & Hen (13 weeks)- Inseparable! What to do?

kara_aus

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2020
So I have two gorgeous Australorps which I hatched. They were raised together just the two of them until they were 4/5 weeks old when they joined 2 older hens. Now one is a rooster and it's set to move in with a family friend on property as a pet without other chooks. However, they are still the best of friends and so tame and lovely. They actively will seek out cuddles and jump on your lap together. If one comes, the other will always follow. They sleep next to each other and roam around the garden together. They are sweet hearts.

My question is, would it be cruel to remove the rooster only? Would it be possible to rehome just the 2 of them? I read everywhere that this can make life hard on female as the roo's hormones kick in! But these guys have already broken so many of the normal rules and this rooster is so tame. Can this work?

Thank you!!!
1603951424466.png

1603951038587.png

Attachments

• 20201028_084715.jpg
    20201028_084715.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 1603950951143.png
    1603950951143.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Do NOT separate them! Idk anything about whether or not it will be hard on them(although I'd think it would be,at least in the beginning) but I do KNOW it will be hard on me!! If I later read that they've been separated it'll break my heart and it'll be on your hands! Is that what you're trying to do? Break random strangers hearts?! And [ potentially] their hearts?! I sure hope not 😢💔🐓

Haha,
Do NOT separate them! Idk anything about whether or not it will be hard on them(although I'd think it would be,at least in the beginning) but I do KNOW it will be hard on me!! If I later read that they've been separated it'll break my heart and it'll be on your hands! Is that what you're trying to do? Break random strangers hearts?! And [ potentially] their hearts?! I sure hope not 😢💔🐓

Haha, definitely not!

Unfortunately I am not directly involved in the rehoming as I live near the city in Melbourne (Aus). I hatched the cuties and hand reared them for a few weeks but they live on my families property with 2 older chooks (but roosters aren't allowed due to council laws..). Our family friend has a farm and will no doubt be the roo's best mate, but just not sure if it will possible to separate them...

The rooster is the black one! Been crowing for a week or 2 :( One of the pics is a couple of weeks old now... just showing how they're besties
Do you already have roosters? Because in the absence of a rooster, it’s not uncommon for the lead hen to crow. I don’t know, I’m just not convinced it’s a rooster from the pics.

Do you already have roosters? Because in the absence of a rooster, it’s not uncommon for the lead hen to crow. I don’t know, I’m just not convinced it’s a rooster from the pics.

Nope, no roosters. Just 2 x older hens and the 2 x 13 week old chickens. The crow is strange and sounds more like something during than a cockadoodle do! But figured it was because it's still growing?

Back
Top Bottom