Rooster hen? Hen started crowing?

Chicken Unboxing

Chirping
Mar 22, 2021
Florida, the Sunshine State!
So my bantam, which was suspected to be a hen, started crowing. Now I've heard about crowing hens and all that, but I'm not sure. We think she layed an egg because we found two eggs in our coop, one broken and one normal. The white one layed the broken egg (we saw her in action...) so we assumed the other one layed the good one. Did the white one lay two? Can they do that? Anyway, the crowing started happening a few days ago. Though, she (or he) always made weird noises from the start. Her waddle is very small but I think it is just that she is just defective on that. She would also sneeze a lot so we think she had respiratory problems. (she had kind of a closed nose) We sadly had to return her since we couldn't keep a crowing hen (or rooster) but we traded her for a smaller one which is absolutely adorable (I'll make a post about her soon!) What saddens me most is how when we came home and let the white bantam chicken out she was looking for her pal, she was running so fast and she sounded like she was almost crying.:hitIf you guys can aslo tell me the breed of her and the white one, (which I'll post in a reply) that would be great. Our beautiful bantam of which we do not know the breed of is now gone, but I still want to know for sure. Rooster or crowing hen?

Attachments

• 4ACB27AB-0C16-4043-ADAA-B70C9076C7D0.jpeg
    4ACB27AB-0C16-4043-ADAA-B70C9076C7D0.jpeg
    590.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 3FE7104B-E4E7-4FA5-BABF-8E6F761BAF97.jpeg
    3FE7104B-E4E7-4FA5-BABF-8E6F761BAF97.jpeg
    707.7 KB · Views: 31
Colored one is Lola (the crowing hen/rooster) and the white one is Cleopatra. I'm terrible with names so my mom named them. Here are some of their greatest memories together.

Attachments

• 4A07F936-2A37-4712-A7B4-3F0A4F09D8DD.jpeg
    4A07F936-2A37-4712-A7B4-3F0A4F09D8DD.jpeg
    631.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 5A4CDCB4-AED7-434C-8739-85734AC361B3.jpeg
    5A4CDCB4-AED7-434C-8739-85734AC361B3.jpeg
    674.4 KB · Views: 23
  • ABE31587-06FB-424F-A1D0-A383EAC3095B.jpeg
    ABE31587-06FB-424F-A1D0-A383EAC3095B.jpeg
    336.2 KB · Views: 30
That is 100% a rooster!!! Just check out those pointy long saddle feathers.. Such a bright red comb too! Beautiful rooster overall :)
It also looks like it could be a bantam Easter Egger. (Which is not a true breed, but a fun Ameracauna-looking mix).
That is a boy!
Thank you! I knew there were some real weird strange things about (him). Thanks for assuring me on that! He was always a funny rooster. That explains why he wasn't putting any eggs. Do you guys think anything happened... one hen and one rooster... They were together for about a month! Imagine!:eek::lau

The rooster is an Easter egger bantam. His wattles are small because he has a beard. A hen can lay two eggs in one day, though it usually only happens because of some minor egg laying issue (resulting in a soft shelled or broken egg). The hen looks like a serama mix.

The rooster is an Easter egger bantam. His wattles are small because he has a beard. A hen can lay two eggs in one day, though it usually only happens because of some minor egg laying issue (resulting in a soft shelled or broken egg). The hen looks like a serama mix.
Wow... looks like I gave my rooster the wrong name. :oops: Thanks so much for the information. I guess I should have asked byc a lot earlier before I kept them togather for about a month! I'll have to start coming to byc for all my chicken needs. Also, serama? you sure? I've heard about those but my chicken doesn't stand up like I've seen.
1621132318921.jpeg

So weird!

Wow... looks like I gave my rooster the wrong name. :oops: Thanks so much for the information. I guess I should have asked byc a lot earlier before I kept them togather for about a month! I'll have to start coming to byc for all my chicken needs. Also, serama? you sure? I've heard about those but my chicken doesn't stand up like I've seen.View attachment 2671643
So weird!
There are a lot of seramas bred to have a more normal stance. I’ve had five purebred seramas, and they all stood normally. I believe that’s the main difference between Malaysian and American seramas. Also, your hen is probably a serama mix, so won’t be identical to a purebred serama.

Back
Top Bottom