Rooster & Hen Mated

Hen Breed: Black Australorp
Rooster Breed: N/A

They both mated today (I know this because I've looked and done research especially since they are both hitting maturity) I have a few questions about this however
1. Is there any way to make her attracted to a nesting box? I don't want her to lay eggs out in the open.
I put golfballs where I want eggs or hens to brood
2. Is there a general amount of times a rooster mates with a hen?
As often as he can
3. When should I expect her to start laying?
Between 16 and 30 weeks, if not longer. Some hens take a very long time
4. What should I do if her eggs are fertile?
Whatever you ant. Eat them, feed them back to the birds, incubate them, donate/sell them
5. What should I expect from her? (Behavior)
Nothing other than a normal chicken
I know I know, tons of questions, I'm just so excited! :hit
Thanks for the help guys! I love this community too much! :celebrate

It could still be a few weeks to laying, just depends. Do you only have one hen?
Sadly yes we currently only 1 hen (due to family problems), We do have 2 (7 week old) pullets in their flock however and they all live in peace. Today the rooster was In her nesting box purring and basically telling her how to go in and out, such a gentlemen!

LOL, you are so right. I have had several people ask me how my chickens lay eggs without rooster. Of course, I explain, if you don't have chickens, or never been around them, it's a fair question, but it still makes me chuckle. 😁
I had to inform my husband recently that you can’t milk a cow until she’s had a calf…

MANY people think chickens lay multiple eggs per day!

Back
Top Bottom