Rooster & Hen Mated

Chicken6000

Chirping
May 10, 2023
Austin, Texas
Hen Breed: Black Australorp
Rooster Breed: N/A

They both mated today (I know this because I've looked and done research especially since they are both hitting maturity) I have a few questions about this however
1. Is there any way to make her attracted to a nesting box? I don't want her to lay eggs out in the open.
2. Is there a general amount of times a rooster mates with a hen?
3. When should I expect her to start laying?
4. What should I do if her eggs are fertile?
5. What should I expect from her? (Behavior)

I know I know, tons of questions, I'm just so excited! :hit
Thanks for the help guys! I love this community too much! :celebrate

Hen Breed: Black Australorp
Rooster Breed: N/A

They both mated today (I know this because I've looked and done research especially since they are both hitting maturity) I have a few questions about this however
1. Is there any way to make her attracted to a nesting box? I don't want her to lay eggs out in the open.

I know I know, tons of questions, I'm just so excited! :hit
Thanks for the help guys! I love this community too much! :celebrate
- Make the nesting box quiet, and out of the way. Having it up off the floor by a bit can be helpful. Also reduce access to other corners such as behind a feed bin.
- Whenever he feels like it.
- Depends. But if she was receptive, probably within a few weeks.
- Eat them, hatch them, sell them, whatever you feel like doing. Doesn't matter whether they are fertilized.
- She should continue to behave the same as she has been other than perhaps starting to have an egg song when she begins to lay.

- Make the nesting box quiet, and out of the way. Having it up off the floor by a bit can be helpful. Also reduce access to other corners such as behind a feed bin.
- Whenever he feels like it.
- Depends. But if she was receptive, probably within a few weeks.
- Eat them, hatch them, sell them, whatever you feel like doing. Doesn't matter whether they are fertilized.
- She should continue to behave the same as she has been other than perhaps starting to have an egg song when she begins to lay.
Thanks! What did you mean by "If she was receptive" Does that mean If she accepted It?

Currently she has been mated with like 5 times since yesterday, she Is looking for places to lay I can tell!
Are you under the impression that a hen is required to be mated to lay? She'll lay, when she's ready, whether she's ever even seen a rooster or not.
It's not a result of mating, it just happens.

Back
Top Bottom