Rooster in shock

HeiHeisMom

Songster
Apr 13, 2018
Goliad, Texas
Two days ago a dog trapped my one year old RIR rooster in a hole in the ground.
The roo was head first in a hole with just tail feathers sticking out.
By the time I got the dog off and the roo picked up, he had gone into a trance.
Afraid he was dying of shock, I wrapped him up and carried him inside and put him in a dark, quiet room.
Later he was eating, drinking and cooing to me. He would hold my hand, but kept putting his head down.
Today he still does that.
He'll be acting fine, but all of a sudden go into a trance and just lay out as if he's sleeping.
He'll let me hold him for hours, or he'll run around with chickens in the coop like nothing happened.
But when I open the run door, as soon as he realizes it is open he lays down and trances out.
His comb does turn a little purplish, but doesn't stay that way.
Ha anyone here ever experienced ( for lack of better words) PTSD in chickens?
Is this stress? Fear? Did he weaken his heart from fear during the attack maybe?
Any insight or suggestion are greatly appreciated!
IMG_20200321_213201.jpg
Ross passed out in my lap.

IMG_20200321_213254.jpg

Injury to comb.
IMG_20200319_185020.jpg

Ross normal sassy self.

Last edited:
Poor Ross :hugs

Not sure what's going on there if he acts normal then suddenly just goes limp.
Maybe head injury since he was head first in the hole.
I would leave him with the ladies if he's mostly "normal" and they aren't picking at him.
I would also get some poultry vitamins into him that contain Vitamin E and B1 or if you have them you can give 400IU Vitamin E and since he's a big boy 1/2 tablet B-Complex for 3-5 days.

He may have lost his courage and this is a "reaction" when he realizes he may be vunerable when the run door is open. The comb turning purple - is sometimes due to lack of oxygen - maybe stress...could be heart.

Poor Ross :hugs

Not sure what's going on there if he acts normal then suddenly just goes limp.
Maybe head injury since he was head first in the hole.
I would leave him with the ladies if he's mostly "normal" and they aren't picking at him.
I would also get some poultry vitamins into him that contain Vitamin E and B1 or if you have them you can give 400IU Vitamin E and since he's a big boy 1/2 tablet B-Complex for 3-5 days.

He may have lost his courage and this is a "reaction" when he realizes he may be vunerable when the run door is open. The comb turning purple - is sometimes due to lack of oxygen - maybe stress...could be heart.
Thank you. I was wondering if there was something I could do to help him.
I've been giving the B complex chicken vitamin liquid in feed.
He's sleeping in house tonight with a best friend hen.

Two days ago a dog trapped my one year old RIR rooster in a hole in the ground.
The roo was head first in a hole with just tail feathers sticking out.
By the time I got the dog off and the roo picked up, he had gone into a trance.
Afraid he was dying of shock, I wrapped him up and carried him inside and put him in a dark, quiet room.
Later he was eating, drinking and cooing to me. He would hold my hand, but kept putting his head down.
Today he still does that.
He'll be acting fine, but all of a sudden go into a trance and just lay out as if he's sleeping.
He'll let me hold him for hours, or he'll run around with chickens in the coop like nothing happened.
But when I open the run door, as soon as he realizes it is open he lays down and trances out.
His comb does turn a little purplish, but doesn't stay that way.
Ha anyone here ever experienced ( for lack of better words) PTSD in chickens?
Is this stress? Fear? Did he weaken his heart from fear during the attack maybe?
Any insight or suggestion are greatly appreciated!View attachment 2058565Ross passed out in my lap.

View attachment 2058566
Injury to comb.
View attachment 2058569
Ross normal sassy self.

What a wonderful human

He was up alert, crowing and enjoying his hen friend by 630 this morning. The B complex was like a shot of steroids for him.😂
Keeping an eye on him, but he went back to coop mid morning and was bossing others around again.
I think he'll be fine.
Will keep you updated.
Thank you!
Sounds like Mr. Ross may have his mojo back! LOL
Glad to hear he's doing much better!

Back
Top Bottom