Rooster in weird positions- is he in pain?

bougraisse

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 18, 2012
new-brunswick, Canada
Hello, I was wondering if my rooster is in pain. He was born with bad crooked toes, I managed to fix them for the most part but one toe stayed crooked. It didn’t seem to bother him until this spring, when he turned 1 year old. He started to hop around like if he was limping. When the snow melted he seemed fine again. Now I noticed he sits in a weird way, on his “knees” ( so everything from his foot to the first joint / knee is on the ground). He lays down often. Lately, he also became more aggressive, with my family and the hens. Could it be that he is in pain? He is still eating, crowing, mounting the hens, etc. I don’t want to cull him but if he’s suffering…

27A226CA-345F-49FD-AF98-8D5B46380793.jpeg
AFEF9838-DDE5-46A4-8546-DFDDF37292F5.jpeg
FD46DBFE-1C1B-4B79-A456-E174805391E8.jpeg

I wouldn't think he'd be in pain since he's old enough to have adjusted to his foot being a little abnormal.
His hightend aggression is likely due to rising testosterone and higher temperatures and tends to make males lazy too which would explain his frequent naps.

It looks like he has some slight bumblefoot scabs on his toes. You might want to soak his feet in warm Epsom salts water daily to try and get those healed. It may help to remove the scabs and try to squeeze out any hardened pus. Then dress the toes with plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment for a few days.

Walking on the hocks can be a sign of riboflavin (vitamin B2) deficiency. You could try giving 1/4 tablet daily of B complex crushed into his food or a spoonful of water.

Back
Top Bottom