Rooster is bleeding from vent and I think his intestines are out

Necropsies can be expensive. If you've got the stomach for it, you can cut him open after he's dead and take a look at what the intestines look like inside. Sometimes it's very obvious what went wrong, but often there is no clue. But if you are curious and not squeamish, you may learn something.
Personally, I'm not at all squeamish, I'm probably used to some pretty nasty things from hunting but anyway I do this to see what happened when a chicken dies suddenly or when an egg doesn't hatch as expected.

As rare as it is for a rooster to prolapse, it is even more rare that it resolves itself. With this kind of luck, I would probably spring for a lottery ticket.

He may have had a bowel obstruction and it resolved. But if he were mine, I would separate him for a day in case this is not fully resolved. This is to make it easier for you to see it if it begins to happen again and to protect him from the pullets. Next time may be more tragic if the pullets see it and mess with his innards hanging out.

Thank you for the separation suggestion. I did have him separated at first, but the person I bought him from suggested not stressing him out and putting him back with the girls, since he wasn't bleeding and he looked fine.
I am with him now and so far the vent looks fine. I will pit him back in the coop soon, since he was able to be out for awhile.

Yeah...I will get a lottery ticket, once I know he is for sure fine! 😄

Back
Top Bottom