Rooster is bleeding from vent and I think his intestines are out

Pics

homeschoolchick

Songster
12 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Mechanicsville, MD
I have had this rooster and his pullets quarentined for almost 2 weeks now, recent purchase. I saw blood under the roost yesterday morning and thought it was coccidiosis. I started treatment with Corid. This morning there was no blood under the roost. This evening I saw a drop of blood on a leaf in the run and checked the chickens bottoms as I put them away. The rooster had some some blood on his feathers under his vent, and a little blood coming out of it as well. I decided to go take pictures a few minutes ago to post and when I went back this time, he has what appears to be intestines hanging out. What do I do?

Attachments

• 160259 (1).jpeg
    160259 (1).jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 201
  • 160258.jpeg
    160258.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 51
I'm so sorry you are dealing with this!!
I don't know how to help! Im so sorry and hope you can get help!
I hope he gets better :hugs :hugs :hugs

I’m so sorry to hear about your rooster. 😞 I’ve never seen anything like that. My immediate advice is to separate him, stop the bleeding, try to clean him up gently, keep him warm, and monitor him closely until someone who’s seen this before can walk you through how to treat him. If you can clean off what’s hanging out, you can gently work it back inside. You don’t want it to dry out. I wish for the best.

I recommend you humanely euthanize him. Once the intestines are pulled out and injured, bacteria sets in immediately, and trying to stuff all of the contaminated tissues back inside will not work. They will likely not remain even if you can get them back in, and with bacteria inside he would probably die a slow and painful death.

Could I not clean him, use vetericyn on it, put it back in, and monitor him? I was reading about this on other threads. I don't want him to suffer though.
I thought so at first too but it appears to be way beyond a typical vent prolapse. You could try your idea but he'd have to be on antibiotics immediately to even hope to save him, and like @azygous said, it would be a slow and painful death.

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I wish you and him the best. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom