Rooster is hard on hens

laverne34

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
Tucson, AZ
My rooster has my hens feathers entirely rubbed off their backs. No feathers at all. What can I do besides finding a new home for my rooster? I live in AZ and worry about sunburn etc... The hens don't seem to mind but has anyone else had this happen??

How many hens do you have? If you have more hens it could spread out the abuse. I just decided to get rid of our roo because he was too hard on the hens.

I got rid of my roo also for that reason. That and he was getting mean. You have 3 options: get rid of the roo - get more hens - or buy chicken saddles for your hens. Saddles cover up and protect the hens back. A byc'er on here sells them. Look under "Everything else for sale".

I got rid of my roo also for that reason. That and he was getting mean. You have 3 options: get rid of the roo - get more hens - or buy chicken saddles for your hens. Saddles cover up and protect the hens back. A byc'er on here sells them. Look under "Everything else for sale".

I only have 4 hens right now....my roo was supposed to be a hen but Susie turned out to be a Roo. I'd like to get more hens but hesitate because of introducing them. I've heard it can be brutle.

Quote:
Until you can decide on getting more hens, try hen saddles. My roo has plenty of girls but is hard on his favorite. She wears a hen saddle and does just fine.
If for some ungodly reason I had to give up chickens, I would find a way to keep my roo. I adore him.

OK I took a look at the saddles....I'm ready to buy. Just wondering if these will be too warm for my girls in 100+ temps here in AZ??

Quote:
Good question. It doesn't get quite that hot here, only in the 90s. You might consider taking them off at night, but that would be a little bit of a hassle.

Should be fine as long as she plenty of water and shade. You can have 50 to 1 ratio most roosters will have there favorites. you could put him out of the pen if your not hatching. He won't leave. I have several hens without feathers on there backs and others that never get touched. You could try trimming his nails like you have to with turkeys.

Thanks for the advice. I made a homemade saddle out of fleece that she's wearing now but will order a saddle today. I can't really take him out of the pen....he won't last long with our coyotes and bobcats etc. here. I will try trimming his nails and hopefully my hen will recover and grow her feathers back.

Back
Top Bottom