Rooster is henpecked

Dandelion_Hen

In the Brooder
Dec 5, 2020
Hi everyone,

I have a Rhode Island rooster and 5 hens, they are all hatchlings and have been raised together since they were born. I wasn’t planning on keeping the rooster but my husband and I really enjoy him and like his crowing in the morning. We also might hatch chicks in the near future. The problem is the rooster has been getting picked on by the top hen which is also another Rhode Island Red. The areas he is getting picked on are both sides of the neck, they look raw and painful, the feathers cover him most of the time so it’s hard to see the wounds. They have a large run, hanging treats and other things to keep them busy. We have been treating his wound with an antiseptic spray but he has not been separated from the flock at this point. I found it weird that a rooster is getting picked on, he is a very nice rooster, we can pick him up, pet him, he always seems in good health minus getting picked on. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I attached a picture of him, I don’t have a picture of his wound, that’s hard to get by myself. Please let me know what other information you might need to help.

This poor henpecked rooster thanks you all in advance.

Attachments

• 432B534C-0374-4D01-B9B4-AEBDAFEF42BF.jpeg
    432B534C-0374-4D01-B9B4-AEBDAFEF42BF.jpeg
    825.7 KB · Views: 33
Many roosters will just stand there and let a hen feather peck/pluck them. Do an on site search of Pin Less Peepers. They can be used on the 'pecker' and removed once feathers are regrown on the rooster. Many times by then this bad habit will be broken.

Awesome great idea! I searched the internet trying to find other roosters that got pecked on but I didn’t find much. I guess that’s why there’s a term henpecked haha. I’ll order some of those peepers. Thanks again!

They are all 6 months. We live out in the country so we don’t have to worry about bothering anyone with his crowing. He only really crows in the morning for a few hours. Maybe he will crow more as he gets older?

Back
Top Bottom