ROOSTER issues šŸ™ƒ

Shugercube

Songster
Apr 17, 2022
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Ok. So this guy is already listed to gthoh but in the meantimeā€¦ my Sebright, Copper, is a big meanie to the newer chicks. I keep the babies separated in the run, but he is somehow managing to force his way in with them (Iā€™m guessing since heā€™s smaller than the other ā€œbig birdsā€). Iā€™ve caught him in there TWICE today now, happily ripping feathers off the poor unsuspecting babies.

What do I do? I cannot bring myself to cull him, but I donā€™t really have anywhere else to put him right now, save for a dog carrier that would maybe give him roughly 2 sqft of space inside. Should I stick him in there inside the run/coop until Iā€™m able to get rid of him?? I donā€™t want him to be too cramped or anything, but I canā€™t have him picking on the littles! So far no blood has been drawn, but I canā€™t let it continue until it does. Heā€™s sweet to people, but apparently doesnā€™t like the babies. Itā€™s funny, because heā€™s clearly the alpha right now even though my RIR is like 3 times his size šŸ¤£

Ok. So this guy is already listed to gthoh but in the meantimeā€¦ my Sebright, Copper, is a big meanie to the newer chicks. I keep the babies separated in the run, but he is somehow managing to force his way in with them (Iā€™m guessing since heā€™s smaller than the other ā€œbig birdsā€). Iā€™ve caught him in there TWICE today now, happily ripping feathers off the poor unsuspecting babies.

What do I do? I cannot bring myself to cull him, but I donā€™t really have anywhere else to put him right now, save for a dog carrier that would maybe give him roughly 2 sqft of space inside. Should I stick him in there inside the run/coop until Iā€™m able to get rid of him?? I donā€™t want him to be too cramped or anything, but I canā€™t have him picking on the littles! So far no blood has been drawn, but I canā€™t let it continue until it does. Heā€™s sweet to people, but apparently doesnā€™t like the babies. Itā€™s funny, because heā€™s clearly the alpha right now even though my RIR is like 3 times his size šŸ¤£
Do you know how he is getting into the chick run? If you do then you can keep him as long as he can't get into the chick run.

Do you know how he is getting into the chick run? If you do then you can keep him as long as he can't get into the chick run.
I donā€™t. Itā€™s surrounded with chicken wire, and I havenā€™t caught him in the act. I donā€™t see any weak spots, but obviously thereā€™s something or he wouldnā€™t be getting in.

I should add, I am in the process of building a second coop and run solely for the bantams, which he was going to be the only roo in there and could have his own little harem. But Iā€™m not done enough that Iā€™d be comfortable moving him there yet.

Back
Top Bottom