Rooster Issues!

Hegatha

Songster
8 Years
Mar 13, 2011
Washington
My Polish Rooster is 5 months and he has been attacking my foot when ever I get close to the hens or pick one up. I am not gonna put up with it but I absolutly love him and dont wanna get rid of him. Is there anything I can do about his behavior?

Thanks

Best system for me is more roosters. Aggression directed at each other instead of you. Presently you are what I call the ditherfish, the outsider that gets directed aggression because usuall outlets for aggression not present.

Consider another polish rooster in separate pen that can occupy your boy from time to time. Make certain they do not fight excessively through wire.

I have seen some people respond with a broom! Try it a different way. You can tell when he is going to attack right? Try walking away... let him win. YOU ARE NOT A ROOSTER! Also, try giving him some grain before he attacks. Other roosters (invading his territory) do not normally bring yummy scratch, do they. He is attacking b/c he feels his man-hood is threatened. Do not not threaten him.

There is lots of advice on here for "gentling" roosters. I had a terrible rooster last year that had to be culled. He was mean and scary. This year, got 2 roos with my chicks. Right now they are about 18 weeks old. I purposely pick the tamer one up very day, and hold him for a few minutes, stroking his back. Sometimes I bend down and stroke his back, forcing him to sit. If he get a little ruffly with me, I stand up and walk up to him, assertively but not overly agressively, and make him move away from me. I keep him moviing for 30 sec. or so. Then I walk away. It's been working well, but today he bit me hard. He got smacked, then I forcibly stalked him and made him move from every spot he chose. That way, I am the winner. Good luck- mine may still end up in a pot!!

PS- last year I tried the broom thing, but the roo just became aggressive to the broom. He wasn't afraid of it.

Motivation behind attacks maybe varied. Regardless of motivation, lack of communtication may be involved. Rooster wants some response from you, usually move away or submit. Give him neither. If he threatens or attacks, then move into attack. Do not move away as that will be interpreted as submission and may be desired outcome for him.

I am a big mean dude so I simply ignore the aggression even when flogged which can hurt a bit. If he persist, then remove or cut tips off spurs as they are part of attack I have greatest displeasure with.

Avoid having bird associate aggression with any sort of food reward, otherwise you are feeding the beast.

Funny thing is he attackes my foot with his beak lol. When he does it I hold him down and tell him no and push him away. Hes such a little Sh*t. I will work with him eventually once we have babies I will be keeping another roo. I told my mom he was gonna be used as a pinyata pretty soon. hehehe

Last edited:
My brother did some "communicating" with his mean rooster by punting it across the coop and it never bothered him again. My nephew was too scared to assert his authority over the thing so it continued to attack him every time he entered the coop. Not saying you should do that, but if one latched onto my leg, I probably would.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom