Rooster killing hawk

annagoodspeed

Songster
7 Years
Jan 24, 2017
Central Idaho 3000 ft
4D0B3657-7B2B-449A-9973-19D9B536A9F1.png

Hi Folks, this is going around FB along with the video below, and I am trying to track down the OP as many are wondering about the breed of the roo. Maybe Australorp? It says she is Shasta Schlitt and a BYC member, but I am not getting hits from the search engine. Any ideas? Thanks!

Looks like a young hawk that didn't have the skills to make a quick kill, and defend itself from the rooster. Rooster did a fantastic job keeping his ladies safe. I think mine would have been the first to hide.

Great video! Hawks are ruthless creatures. I don’t eat meat, but I’ve been thinking of making an exception… (Joking! They’re probably too gamey 😂)

I have had several hawk attacks over the years and I have lost several hens. They’re really skilled predators.
I will say: these attacks have also made my rooster REALLY good at his job.

Backstory: I have a mixed flock of 14 standard hens and one seasoned bantam Cochin rooster (he is about 5 years old and he might weigh 4 pounds, but that’s pushing it…). He would not stand a chance if he tried to take on a hawk like that champ in the video.

Anyway, he sees hawks now from a mile away—long before I can find them. He does his “hawk call” that sends all of my girls running for cover—and he also has some “maybe, maybe not” hawk noises that make my hens go on alert. He’ll even stand out in the open by himself after all of his girls have found a safe place to hide. It’s actually pretty cool to watch. (He definitely has a little man complex, but it’s working for him..)

When you have a good rooster, you have a good rooster. Not all are madeof the same stuff. I have rehomed a few roosters over the years (for fighting w/one another + not doing their jobs) and I always keep my little guy.

Back
Top Bottom