Rooster laws

Aloutsis

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 16, 2013
Ripon, CA
I have found and read my city ordinances about keeping chickens and it doesn't say anything about roosters. Does that mean I'm good to go to have one or has anyone else came across the same situation?

Happy Greek Farms..

That would depend on what it says about chickens and whether they would catch you on something else, like Homeowners' Association rules or noise. But if "chickens" are Ok and it says nothing about roosters, you're probably safe, in my non-lawyer opinion.

However, chickens are loud enough, even without a rooster. "Because you can" is not a good reason to start off on the wrong foot with your new neighbors by putting a rooster outside their bedroom window.

I have found and read my city ordinances about keeping chickens and it doesn't say anything about roosters. Does that mean I'm good to go to have one or has anyone else came across the same situation?

Happy Greek Farms..

If it doesn't say anything specific to roosters it means they are included in whatever wording they have for chickens poultry fowl or whatever other words they chose to describe. Their may be a spot in the ordinance stating at no time shall they be a nuisance or shall a nucience be a allowed to continue, implying noisey roosters(as well as other things). Most likely meaning do as you please as long as you follow the rules and neighbors aren't complaining you are good.

Not necessarily. It might say that X number of hens are allowed, which would not transfer to allowing roosters. Wording ALWAYS makes a big difference.

Exactly hens are female that would mean no roosters. I said if they used words like chicken poultry or fowl. You are exactly right wording has everything to with it. Read through your ordinance very carefully.

Last edited:
It is unlawful for any person, firm, or other entity owning or having possession of any domestic fowl or animals to permit the
same to run loose or to go upon the premises of any other person, firm, or entity within the City without consent. (Ord 546 § 1, 1995)
Domestic Fowl or Animals
Running Loose:

Domestic Fowl or Animals
Within the City:
It is unlawful for any person, firm, or other entity to keep or maintain or cause to be kept or maintained within the corporate limits of the city any domestic fowl or other animals in any pen, house or enclosure unless the exterior boundaries thereof are more than fifty (50) feet from any dwelling, church, or school, and 100 feet from any hospital or medical facility. It is unlawful to permit the accumulation of offal or manure in any coop, pen, or enclosure on any property on which such domestic fowl or animals may be kept or maintained. (Ord 546 § 1, 1995)

Happy Greek Farms..

Back
Top Bottom