Rooster laws

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Aloutsis, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Aloutsis

Aloutsis Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2013
    Ripon, CA
    I have found and read my city ordinances about keeping chickens and it doesn't say anything about roosters. Does that mean I'm good to go to have one or has anyone else came across the same situation?

Happy Greek Farms..

2. Wrooster

Wrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Northern Florida
    That would depend on what it says about chickens and whether they would catch you on something else, like Homeowners' Association rules or noise. But if "chickens" are Ok and it says nothing about roosters, you're probably safe, in my non-lawyer opinion.

However, chickens are loud enough, even without a rooster. "Because you can" is not a good reason to start off on the wrong foot with your new neighbors by putting a rooster outside their bedroom window.

3. Aloutsis

Aug 16, 2013
    Ripon, CA
    I'm about 100 ft away from all other houses and right next to Hwy 99.

Happy Greek Farms..

4. Wrooster

Wrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Northern Florida
    We're about 100 feet away from our own chickens and I wouldn't want to be any closer. I think our rooster crows in his sleep.

5. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    If it doesn't say anything specific to roosters it means they are included in whatever wording they have for chickens poultry fowl or whatever other words they chose to describe. Their may be a spot in the ordinance stating at no time shall they be a nuisance or shall a nucience be a allowed to continue, implying noisey roosters(as well as other things). Most likely meaning do as you please as long as you follow the rules and neighbors aren't complaining you are good.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

7. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Exactly hens are female that would mean no roosters. I said if they used words like chicken poultry or fowl. You are exactly right wording has everything to with it. Read through your ordinance very carefully.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  8. Aloutsis

Aug 16, 2013
    Ripon, CA
    It is unlawful for any person, firm, or other entity owning or having possession of any domestic fowl or animals to permit the
    same to run loose or to go upon the premises of any other person, firm, or entity within the City without consent. (Ord 546 § 1, 1995)
    Domestic Fowl or Animals
    Running Loose:

Domestic Fowl or Animals
    Within the City:
    It is unlawful for any person, firm, or other entity to keep or maintain or cause to be kept or maintained within the corporate limits of the city any domestic fowl or other animals in any pen, house or enclosure unless the exterior boundaries thereof are more than fifty (50) feet from any dwelling, church, or school, and 100 feet from any hospital or medical facility. It is unlawful to permit the accumulation of offal or manure in any coop, pen, or enclosure on any property on which such domestic fowl or animals may be kept or maintained. (Ord 546 § 1, 1995)

Happy Greek Farms..

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Now you need to check the allowed uses for your zoning, and its rules of construction.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by