Rooster Leg Injury plus leg mites.

Okay, update, I had to work late last night and tonight, but I did go out and treat with antibiotic ointment and vasoline. He was born with the crooked toes. Both of his middle toes are pretty good size so not sure on swelling. I do think he has mites, but am more worried about what i think is injury of some kind to his left leg. i am going out tonight with hubby to get some better pictures of his left leg. Will try to clean it off first, not sure how he will like that as i am sure it is sore. He will let me put vasoline treatment on it. I did forget to mention that when he stands on either foot he will stretch the other foot out behind him and then put it back down. He can stand on both feet but he can't seem to jump up on anything with it. So every night after I treat him I put him in one of the nesting boxes so he is not on the cold floor. Have heat lamp on when temperatures get below 20 degrees to keep him and the girls comfortable. The red circle you put above is what I was referring to when I asked if anyone thought it would fall off as it is black like dead flesh. I did notice the red and figured he had some kind of infection but not sure from what. He has never had good looking feet, but never this bad. I have to admit that I did not notice the injury at the top for about a week due to all his feathering. The only thing I could see was the raised scales and him limping.
I will post again later this evening after treatment and new pictures. I will check bottom of his feet as well, but I don't think there is anything wrong with his foot pad but will look again. Yes the green circle is new scales but they are pushed up that is why I at first thought mites but his upper leg looks so bad that I'm pretty sure that is what i need to be treating first.

New pictures added. This is really bad and not for the weak at heart.
IMG_1680.JPG
IMG_1681.JPG
IMG_1680.JPG
IMG_1681.JPG
IMG_1683.JPG
IMG_1686.JPG
IMG_1687.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1682.JPG
    IMG_1682.JPG
    392.1 KB · Views: 2
Just asking on this one - those are soap bubbles right? No bubbling coming from that hock is there?

Have you examined his legs further up, look along his back and under the wings for any more sores or crusty spots like that?

I'm not quite sure what to make of it. Do both legs have similar type sores or scabbing on the upper part of the leg and hock?

No mites or lice on his body?

upload_2018-1-9_22-39-18.png

upload_2018-1-9_22-38-58.png

I tried finding pics I had taken of a pullet of mine that had some scaly mites. Couldn't find any, but I had a couple get fairly bad, a couple not too bad. The worst one didn't look as bad as the OPs rooster, but one did have a large "growth" that sorta schlepped off with the mite treatments. :confused:

Yes those are soap bubbles he just got a scrubbing in warm soapy water and then towel dried. A few of his feathers are still a little damp. The fifth picture is of his other leg in the same area. I haven't seen any mites but they get dusted once a month, only thing is I didn't put anything on their legs, so maybe mites have been harboring in his scales, I don't know I have had chickens for years and have no idea what it is. I'm just hoping that whatever it is the vasoline, soaking , Ivermitin, and antibiotic will eventually do the trick. It looks bad enough to me that I'm surprised he can move it to stretch it. It seems to me that the black stuff is dead skin and because it is dry and scaley he finds it hard to move his leg, so maybe that is why he is constantly stretching his legs out? Not sure of any of it anymore.

Mites drill up under the scales and eat their way in, kinda like termites in wood. So it could be that they have just created havoc up under there.
Hopefully once they all die, and you can kill off all the nits too, he should eventually heal up. :fl
This is all assuming it's only leg mites. I can't tell if something else is going on or not.

Back
Top Bottom