Rooster lethargic

PolloGal

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
Eastern TN
One of my roosters (just under a year old…mixed) started acting very tired today. He was still crowing a few times and ate a bit…grapes, treats…clover…that I saw. His crop doesn’t feel completely empty and I have been giving him nutra drench and yogurt…water with electrolytes/vitamins so he doesn’t get dehydrated while ‘sleeping’. If I ‘bother’ him too much (make him drink) he does come around and do his normal ‘rooster’ thing of jumping away from me. And He is standing and ‘talks’ to the girls sometimes (that I saw)(We keep him in a pen separated by the girls with chicken wire…conjugal visits)But he is pretty much keeping his eyes closed (at first I thought there was something wrong with his eye, but not) and sleeping.
I just can’t find anything wrong with him. I checked his crop, vent, feet, eyes, feathers, neck, legs, beak, mouth…looked for mites, worms in his stool…(both of which are unlikely because I use natural things consistently to prevent worms and clean daily to prevent things like mites…and have never had a problem with either) and I can’t see anything wrong with him. He is just super tired, which is just not normal. And I just can’t be sure he is eating/drinking on his own because he just wants to sleep. We did have super bad/loud weather last night with lots of loud thunder/rain all night (he is not used to that) and yesterday we were working in and around his pen (putting a new door on his pen), so I suppose it could have caused him some stress (he is a pretty peaceful and quiet guy), but I am a bit worried about him. Has anyone ever seen such a thing as normal for a ‘tired’ rooster…or does anyone have any idea of what could be wrong or something I could try? Meanwhile, I will continue with the yogurt mix until bedtime and pray morning finds him well. Thanks for any help.

What's his diet? What have you been giving him to 'prevent worms '?
Unless you treat the coop with permethrine or similar, mites are still a real possibility.

What's his diet? What have you been giving him to 'prevent worms '?
Unless you treat the coop with permethrine or similar, mites are still a real possibility.
We use apple cider vinegar, DE, and garlic on a regular basis. It has worked for me for years and I have never had a bird have worms…so I just don’t think that is the problem. Plus, just as a double check….I checked several of his ‘stool’ today and saw nothing. Actually, I clean his pen every day of his stool and it is always normal.

His diet is an organic feed, grass, clover, mealworms, grapes - (treats). I looked to see if he had mites…just to be sure…and didn’t see anything unusual. His feathers are gorgeous and he has always been so healthy.

We use apple cider vinegar, DE, and garlic on a regular basis. It has worked for me for years and I have never had a bird have worms…so I just don’t think that is the problem. Plus, just as a double check….I checked several of his ‘stool’ today and saw nothing. Actually, I clean his pen every day of his stool and it is always normal.

His diet is an organic feed, grass, clover, mealworms, grapes - (treats). I looked to see if he had mites…just to be sure…and didn’t see anything unusual. His feathers are gorgeous and he has always been so healthy.
A.c.v, d.e and garlic are not wormers and garlic is actually pretty toxic, lethargy is often a symptom if garlic poisoning.
You might not live in an area where worms are a prevalent issue but it's impossible to say unless you run a fecal float.
What type of feed? How often does he get treats?

A.c.v, d.e and garlic are not wormers and garlic is actually pretty toxic, lethargy is often a symptom if garlic poisoning.
You might not live in an area where worms are a prevalent issue but it's impossible to say unless you run a fecal float.
What type of feed? How often does he get treats?
DE dries out and kills worms in poultry. I know we all do things differently for our chickens- I have a lot of experience using garlic and DE for things like this. Garlic is only toxic if it’s misused. Worms are not a prevalent issue here. And I assure you, he is not garlic poisoned. I do have a picture, however of his last stool which, keep in mind…He’s only had water, Nutra drench, some mealworms and yogurt this afternoon, so a more experienced eye might be able to tell me if they see worms. We did recently (about a month) move him to a different location, and even though the area was treated prior, I just need to rule it out. Of course, we are not opposed to giving him a chemical if it will save his life. hopefully the picture will help. I really don’t want to lose this guy. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_1203.jpeg
    IMG_1203.jpeg
    695.3 KB · Views: 11
DE dries out and kills worms in poultry. I know we all do things differently for our chickens- I have a lot of experience using garlic and DE for things like this. Garlic is only toxic if it’s misused. Worms are not a prevalent issue here. And I assure you, he is not garlic poisoned. I do have a picture, however of his last stool which, keep in mind…He’s only had water, Nutra drench, some mealworms and yogurt this afternoon, so a more experienced eye might be able to tell me if they see worms. We did recently (about a month) move him to a different location, and even though the area was treated prior, I just need to rule it out. Of course, we are not opposed to giving him a chemical if it will save his life. hopefully the picture will help. I really don’t want to lose this guy. Thanks for your help.
With all respect to your experience, I spent all winter researching 'natural' dewormers, they don't work, except for low doses of pumpkin seed.
There's only visible worm pieces in heavy infestations, I'd perform a fecal or ask a vet to do so- just to be sure.
Is there feed a layer?
I'd start him on a vitamin regime, 400i.u vitamin E capsule and about a third of a B complex tablet every day for a few weeks.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/trouble-in-parasites.78256/

Like I mentioned…we all do things differently for our chickens…I find that they do, in fact, work. That aside…could you tell anything by the photo?

With all respect to your experience, I spent all winter researching 'natural' dewormers, they don't work, except for low doses of pumpkin seed.
There's only visible worm pieces in heavy infestations, I'd perform a fecal or ask a vet to do so- just to be sure.
Is there feed a layer?
I'd start him on a vitamin regime, 400i.u vitamin E capsule and about a third of a B complex tablet every day for a few weeks.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/trouble-in-parasites.78256
BTW…I do appreciate your winter efforts. I have a lifetime of working with DE, but we will go with yours…lol. Recommendation for a dewormer? Thx.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom