Rooster Losing Feathers?

I believe it is pour on ivermectin and a couple of drops are applied behind the neck.....someone correct me if I am wrong. Depluming mites are not the same as Northern fowl mites and I don't think Sevin will work on them, but I am no expert.... I'm just going off the quick bit of research I did after reading your post and seeing the photos.
I can't imagine why you would think a mouse would do this rather than mites, especially when it has been going on for a long period of time. Your photos appear to show the cockerel chewing on at himself, which is further evidence that he is irritated.

I read that mice do this same kind of chewing on chicken feathers, Rebrascora, and I have seen mice in the coop. Didn't you know that mice chew on chicken feathers, too?

There are usually plenty of feathers in the hen house/run without chewing them off a chicken. I have certainly heard of rats chewing toes and eating chicks...I once lost 3 ducklings to them... I can understand that, as it's meat and blood but I can't see a mouse eating half of a cockerel's feathers.... maybe the odd one or two.
Anyway, in this case, it has been going on for too long for it to be a mouse, in my opinion, but if that is what you think, then you need to target the rodent. I was just giving my opinion that depluming mites are responsible.

Good luck whatever you decide.

I have e-mailed the photos to an acquaintance who has a Ph.D. in ornithology, at his request. It will be interesting to hear what he thinks. I've also e-mailed my Baby's vet. It does look like his feathers are deplumed, but it might be an immune system disorder or some other weird malady like fingernail biting in humans, so I'm going to take him in to get a diagnosis. Thanks for your input, though, everyone. I will keep you posted. I think you are right that it's not a mouse. I looked up their chewing style, and the feathers appear gnawed on in a different fashion....

I believe it is pour on ivermectin and a couple of drops are applied behind the neck.....someone correct me if I am wrong. Depluming mites are not the same as Northern fowl mites and I don't think Sevin will work on them, but I am no expert.... I'm just going off the quick bit of research I did after reading your post and seeing the photos.
I can't imagine why you would think a mouse would do this rather than mites, especially when it has been going on for a long period of time. Your photos appear to show the cockerel chewing on at himself, which is further evidence that he is irritated.

I believe you are correct @rebrascora best treatment option for Depluming (feather) mites would be Ivermectin. Agreed, he does seem to be chewing on himself in all the photos.

It wouldn't hurt to offer some poultry vitamins in his water a couple of days a week and provide some extra protein like egg, tuna, mackerel or meat.

Can a vet do this treatment for me? He has never let me touch him? He's mean. He pecked my foot about a week ago when I was trying to nudge him into the coop and I couldn't walk well for about a week. Don't get me wrong. I love him, but he's hard to handle when he's feisty. When he got docile last fall when he was ill, he was really easy to handle, but once he resumed his feistiness, with good health, my monster was back. I read that Ivermectin isn't licensed for use on birds? Is that still true? Could a vet prescribe it? Or would I have to do it myself?

My rooster really enjoyed the scrambled eggs I made him for breakfast today. I am pleased that my acquaintance who has the poultry Ph,D. responded. Sometimes he is too busy. He wrote, after reviewing the photos:

"Thank you for sending a few photos. These photos indicate that new feathers are coming in. Does your rooster appear to be bothered by itching, excessive scratching, or seem to be pulling out feathers? If so, these symptoms could suggest depluming mites. I haven’t personally run into problems with depluming mites in Utah; however, they are reported to be found throughout the US. These mites are very small and can only be seen microscopically from deep scrapings of the skin and feather follicles. They should respond to treatment with ivermectin. Check with your veterinarian about treatment protocol. Life cycle of the mite is about two weeks. If your rooster doesn’t respond to this antiparasite treatment, you are probably dealing with some other cause."

Make sure the chickens are receiving a complete feed containing all necessary vitamins and minerals as well as enough protein for optimal feather growth and replacement.

Hi again

I believe you can buy pour on Ivermectin over the counter or mail order. Putting a couple of drops on the skin at the back of his neck should be easier in the dark when he is on the roost. Using a head torch will leave your hands free to lift his feathers and apply the treatment, but if you have someone to help you all the better. They are usually much more docile in the dark on the roost and of course you don't have to go chasing around trying to catch them. Of course, if you can afford to pay the vet to do it, then all the better, but you are going to have to catch him to take him to the vets, by which time you could pretty much have applied the treatment yourself. I think the concern with using ivermectin in chickens is that there has been no formal research about the withdrawal period for eggs and meat, but since he doesn't lay eggs and it sounds like you won't be eating him, there should be no worries. Good luck treating him and finmgers crossed the ivermectin does the trick.

Regards

Barbara

Back
Top Bottom