Rooster Loss of Balance Sudden Onset

20210915_081343.jpg

Morning update. Sprayed everything in the coop. Got along all the cracks and treated the nest box. I am not seeing anything on the other birds - just him. That doesn't make any sense to me, especially with how bad he was. Everyone got treated anyway. And I will repeat once a week.

Eye is looking worse today. I have used neosporin for 24 hours. Is the terramycin something I can get at TSC? I also have LA 200. Is it time to consider that?

Thank you everyone for your help!

Does he still have mites on him?

Poor fella! His eye doesn't look too good does it.
TSC does carry Terramycin, it's a small box so you may have to ask for it or it may be in their locked medicine case. If they don't have it in stock, you can probably order it online for store pick up. I know you can get it through Amazon as well.

Is the inside of his beak clear - no lesions?

I would consider treating him with the antibiotic to see if that helps.

1631710583014.png

This boy is a mess! No live mites at this time. Still some nits that I am working on. Today I bathed him again and there was a lot of black debris in the water....
20210916_104702.jpg

20210916_105308.jpg

Upon closer inspection this is what I found. I don't want to be dramatic...but what in the name of all that is holy is happening?!? The feathers come out easily. When the black substance is out of the feather shaft it has a consistency of damp charcoal. Kinda crumbly. I can only assume this is related to the mites? If I need to make a new thread for this issue let me know.

The eye ointment will be here today (TSC was sold out) and he's had 2 doses of LA 200.

Last edited:
This boy is a mess! No live mites at this time. Still some nits that I am working on. Today I bathed him again and there was a lot of black debris in the water....
View attachment 2835173

View attachment 2835175
Upon closer inspection this is what I found. I don't want to be dramatic...but what in the name of all that is holy is happening?!? The feathers come out easily. When the black substance is out of the feather shaft it has a consistency of damp charcoal. Kinda crumbly. I can only assume this is related to the mites? If I need to make a new thread for this issue let me know.

The eye ointment will be here today (TSC was sold out) and he's had 2 doses of LA 200.
I don't know! I've never seen that before. I do wonder if it's related to the mites, could be depluming mites, but I don't remember seeing folks mention any substance coming out of the feather shaft.
Ivermectin would be needed IF it's depluming mites.

I'm tagging in @Eggcessive and @coach723 to see if they have any other ideas!
I wouldn't start a new thread, since all of his "history" is in this one - we'll continue on and hopefully others can contribute.

Just to clarify so we're on the same page - those black tips in the ends of the feathers is like a crumbly charcoal like substance? Can you pull out just the crumbly stuff intact? (Red Circle)

Yellow Arrow - are there more feather shafts like that - that one looks like it's new growth but splitting? And if you pulled on that, would it come out easily and possibly have any pus underneath?

1631815260511.png

I don't know! I've never seen that before. I do wonder if it's related to the mites, could be depluming mites, but I don't remember seeing folks mention any substance coming out of the feather shaft.
Ivermectin would be needed IF it's depluming mites.

I'm tagging in @Eggcessive and @coach723 to see if they have any other ideas!
I wouldn't start a new thread, since all of his "history" is in this one - we'll continue on and hopefully others can contribute.

Just to clarify so we're on the same page - those black tips in the ends of the feathers is like a crumbly charcoal like substance? Can you pull out just the crumbly stuff intact? (Red Circle)

Yellow Arrow - are there more feather shafts like that - that one looks like it's new growth but splitting? And if you pulled on that, would it come out easily and possibly have any pus underneath?

View attachment 2835304
Yes the black stuff comes out intact. That's what was in the bath water.

Yes more splitting feathers like that. Not everywhere- seem to be in little collections. But enough to be a definite concern.

No pus to be seen anywhere.

I'm glad you haven't seen this either. (Alarming though that is) My mom had chickens while we were growing up. I've had my own flock with my family for 7 years now. This is my first time ever dealing with mites and I have never seen ANYTHING like this latest development.

20210917_081250.jpg

Eye continuing to swell....he's had two applications of terramycin at the time of this picture.

I did call the vet in town that does exotics. (I'm amused that chickens fall under "exotic" but I get it - they are birds) I told them about the mites and asked about the black feather stuff. The staff who answered the phone went and talked to the doc. When she came back I was told "the doctor doesn't think there is anything she can do for your chicken". So I guess I'm on my own? I was shocked by that answer especially since they hadn't even seen him.

I'm hoping to see an improvement with his eye after today's meds. 😕

View attachment 2836111
Eye continuing to swell....he's had two applications of terramycin at the time of this picture.

I did call the vet in town that does exotics. (I'm amused that chickens fall under "exotic" but I get it - they are birds) I told them about the mites and asked about the black feather stuff. The staff who answered the phone went and talked to the doc. When she came back I was told "the doctor doesn't think there is anything she can do for your chicken". So I guess I'm on my own? I was shocked by that answer especially since they hadn't even seen him.

I'm hoping to see an improvement with his eye after today's meds. 😕
Oh, that's terrible, I'm sorry that the vet was like that.

Poor Guy! Ok, let's re-look at this - nothing inside his beak, no canker, yellow/white pasty material, no bad odor or breath?

Your treating the eye.
Are there still mites? I'm thinking I would treat with Ivermectin if you can find it. Simply because I just don't know what that black stuff coming out of the feathers is. IF that's debris from something like feather mites, then permethrin is not going to get rid of them. Feather mites live in and under the feather follicle feeding mainly on blood, so "topical" dusts and sprays won't reach them. Ivermectin is systemic, so it will treat feather mites (as well as lice/poultry mites/scaly leg mites, etc.).
Not saying it's feather mites but worth a try maybe?

You've given antibiotics. Oxytetracycline (LA 200), do you have anything else? Tylosin, Tetracycline, Baytril, etc.? Just thinking ahead here.

You've de-wormed right?

Crop is emptying, he's eating ok for now? Eating chick starter or an all flock. Poop looking ok?

Just typing while I'm thinking - have I missed something or overlooked something?

Oh, that's terrible, I'm sorry that the vet was like that.

Poor Guy! Ok, let's re-look at this - nothing inside his beak, no canker, yellow/white pasty material, no bad odor or breath?

Your treating the eye.
Are there still mites? I'm thinking I would treat with Ivermectin if you can find it. Simply because I just don't know what that black stuff coming out of the feathers is. IF that's debris from something like feather mites, then permethrin is not going to get rid of them. Feather mites live in and under the feather follicle feeding mainly on blood, so "topical" dusts and sprays won't reach them. Ivermectin is systemic, so it will treat feather mites (as well as lice/poultry mites/scaly leg mites, etc.).
Not saying it's feather mites but worth a try maybe?

You've given antibiotics. Oxytetracycline (LA 200), do you have anything else? Tylosin, Tetracycline, Baytril, etc.? Just thinking ahead here.

You've de-wormed right?

Crop is emptying, he's eating ok for now? Eating chick starter or an all flock. Poop looking ok?

Just typing while I'm thinking - have I missed something or overlooked something?
Ok, let's see....

Beak is clean, no canker, no yellow/white paste, no noticeable odor. He does pant when I pick him up but he's OVER being handled at this point so he runs around his pen before I even get to him. Seriously - he sees me coming and starts to work himself up! By the time I'm done with his variety of treatments he is breathing normally.

I don't see anything alive (mites) on him at this time. I am bathing regularly with an OTC to catch any as they hatch. There are a few nits remaining so I know we are still working through this process.

I do not have any other meds on hand...other than Vet RX. I'm throwing everything I have at him!

Now....I have not de-wormed. 😒 But he's not showing any symptoms that made worms jump out as a possibility. So I had not considered that issue. I have one hen who I know is not laying (she lays a different color egg) and hasn't for about a month. But that's the only other odd ball thing going on with the flock. The others seem to be laying well.

Crop is emptying and he is still eating well. He's on the all flock. I believe it's 18%. Still getting PND and the Rooster booster in his water. His poop is looking very good actually considering all he's got going on.

I am open to any and all suggestions at this point.

Back
Top Bottom