ROOSTER MAKES A WEIRD NOISE

Lilywater101

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 7, 2009
My rooster sometimes makes a loud noise by opening his beak wide, it does not sound like anything i have ever heard come out of a rooster. I heard that gapeworms make a chicken open it's mouth wide as if yawning. I wonder what the symptoms are of a chicken that has worms.(i'm worried cuz my birds eat a lot of earthworms they love them) Also is there any natural remedies to get rid of parasites and worms??
sad.png

Hmmm, that is alot of questions at once really!

There are suggested preventatives for worms/parasites you can use, Food Grade Dietamacious Earth (spelled wrong?) added to the food and bedding for mites, worms, etc...Pumpkins seeds chopped and served alone or with yogurt can aid in treatment/prevention of worms, I have heard...I use both in my flock as well.

Gape worms Im not so sure of, never have dealt with...you can search right here on BYC and get overdosed with supportive information about it though, just go to search up above, and put in the keyword spot "gapeworm" and get a good cup of coffee or tea if you like! You should find something!

Oh....I had a young cockeral make a terrible noise for a week once, he had "sprained" his crower, and I know he did, cause I watched him do it!! He tried to outcrow the big boys when he first started crowing, and he literally hurt himself! He did just what you are describing your bird is doing? But he got all better, it wasnt a health issue, sorry.

Good Luck!
Tina

Last edited:
Sorry for the overload of questions:) I really appreciate your help, I wanted to make sure that my rooster was fine, while at the same time i wanted to know how i could treat internal parasites NATURALLY, since i'm trying to raise my chickens the natural, organic way i need to try to find natural remedies for chicken diseases or problems. Once again Thanks!
big_smile.png

Not a problem!!
DE and Pumpkin seeds are both Natural!!
DE is just ancient bugs! And whats more natural than Pumpkin seeds! Did you have any luck finding more information? I just didnt want to leave you hanging there? How is your rooster today?

Welcome to BYC!

I had a rooster do this several months ago....I agree with spraining his crower.....when her first got his voice he told the world....now a polite crower....unless he thinks I might forget to feed him!

Hey, Everyone I really apprecaite the help and advice!
smile.png
My rooster does seem better, I think he only makes that noise when he is disturbed or as a warning 2 thehens that "something" is coming.
roll.png
I really do not know how old he is since I got him at a flea market, but I would say he is pretty young because when i got him back in September he was not crowing yet nor was he showing a interest in hens.
smile.png

My rooster does something similar EVERY time I throw the tennis ball for my dog. I need to video tape it because it really is funny. But he opens his beak wide and makes this long baaaaaak sound, only deeper. And then sometimes he does it when he just wants to. But he definitely does it when we play ball. I'm trying to figure out if its a warning or he's just goofy. or maybe he wants to play ball...?
tongue.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom