Rooster Making a Sqeaking/Hiccup Noise

freespiritmom

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 20, 2013
Kansas
I have a RIR rooster 16 weeks old, he does not crow and seems very healthy (eats well, normal poop, very friendly). He continually makes this squeak/hiccup sound. He has no nasal drainage, eyes are bright and clear, he is just making this weird noise. Is it something like a cold or is it something serious, none of my other chickens make this noise except when we are playing with them.

This particular rooster has been a victim of bullying from other members of our flock (17 hens and 10 roos), he will be getting processed soon, just waiting until the weather gets cooler.

Any insight or info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I have a RIR rooster 16 weeks old, he does not crow and seems very healthy (eats well, normal poop, very friendly). He continually makes this squeak/hiccup sound. He has no nasal drainage, eyes are bright and clear, he is just making this weird noise. Is it something like a cold or is it something serious, none of my other chickens make this noise except when we are playing with them.

This particular rooster has been a victim of bullying from other members of our flock (17 hens and 10 roos), he will be getting processed soon, just waiting until the weather gets cooler.

Any insight or info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

For how long he has been making this sound?, This could be to clear his throat from mucus. Please observe the symptoms more closely.

RM

Now and then, one of my chickens do it, one used to do it every few days. I figured she has the hiccups, or is trying to clear her throat.

There is no rhyme or reason why he does it. He does it when he gets excited, after he runs in the yard, after he eats. As a preventative measure I have added Vet RX to the water, just in case it is a cold. No other chickens has this hiccup/squeak. I have heard other chicken squeak to clear their throats especially when they have eaten too fast. His eyes are still clear, no nasal drainage (he does get some moisture after he hiccups if he just drank). Heck since I have been paying so much attention to him he now follows me around like a lost puppy, lets me pick him up. Since he seems to be ok and the rest of the flock are ok I am not going to panic too much, especially since he will be processed soon.

Thanks for the responses. I was just curious and wanted to make sure it was nothing serious.

Back
Top Bottom