Rooster mated with young pullet

The Birb King

Bird is the word
Dec 10, 2022
Earth
So I have a 2 1/2 month old blue Ameraucana pullet (named Blu lol). I hatched her and she is very friendly. Someone also recently dropped off a new Isa brown rooster named Roger. I don't know exactly how old Roger is I think he's around 7 months, and since the other roosters hate him and there is no room for him in the coop he has been free ranging and sleeping in a tree at night. Well today I decided to let Blu free range and eat some grass for a little bit while I got some work done. She was standing near the coop eating some grass and minding her own business, when all of a sudden Roger sneaks up behind and jumps on her! I guess since he had no hens of his own he was getting kinda desperate. Now, since Blu was barely 3 months old and not mating yet she was sqauking a lot and trying to get away. The ruckus got the attention of the other chickens, especially Finn, Blu's dad. And he did not like that one bit. He came barreling over and repeatedly jumped at the fence trying to attack Roger. I pulled Roger off of Blu and he ran away into the woods. Blu seemed pretty scared by the whole thing and at that point so I put her back in the coop. She seems fine now but should I be worried about it? Is there a chance that her vent could have been damaged or something since she is so young?

She seems fine now but should I be worried about it? Is there a chance that her vent could have been damaged or something since she is so young?
Her vent is probably fine. All he did was touch it with his vent (because that's what happens when chickens mate.) The rooster does not have a penis or anything else that will injure her vent.

Note, this is not true of all birds. Ducks are different. Drakes (male ducks) do have a penis. Drake (male duck) mating with hen (female chicken) can be dangerous to the hen, because the hen's body is not designed for that. That is why many people say not to keep drakes with hens.

But since yours are both chickens, her vent should be fine.

Her vent is probably fine. All he did was touch it with his vent (because that's what happens when chickens mate.) The rooster does not have a penis or anything else that will injure her vent.

Note, this is not true of all birds. Ducks are different. Drakes (male ducks) do have a penis. Drake (male duck) mating with hen (female chicken) can be dangerous to the hen, because the hen's body is not designed for that. That is why many people say not to keep drakes with hens.

But since yours are both chickens, her vent should be fine.
Ok. I just feel like she wasn't ready for thst yet and her reproductive organs are probably not complete yet

Ok. I just feel like she wasn't ready for thst yet and her reproductive organs are probably not complete yet
I agree, she is not ready yet. But if the rooster did any damage, it would probably be quite obvious: ripped comb, missing feathers, broken leg (if he was way too heavy), etc.

So I would try to avoid it happening again, but not worry about possible damage to her reproductive organs. You can see if the vent has anything obviously wrong, and everything else is safely inside where it is sure to be fine.

I agree, she is not ready yet. But if the rooster did any damage, it would probably be quite obvious: ripped comb, missing feathers, broken leg (if he was way too heavy), etc.

So I would try to avoid it happening again, but not worry about possible damage to her reproductive organs. You can see if the vent has anything obviously wrong, and everything else is safely inside where it is sure to be fine.
I will take a closer look at her tomorrow but I think she's fine

Roger is pretty dumb tbh. Like Blu is basically still a baby and he wants to mate with her?🙄
I kinda have the same problem, I have 8 chickens one being an easter egger cockerel, 2 easter egger pullets and five barred rock pullets that are all 20 weeks old now. The barred rocks have been mating for weeks now but the easter eggers want nothing to do with that cockerel and can not get far enough away from him.

Back
Top Bottom