Rooster mating broody hen in nest

ForTheLoveOfSilkies

Free Ranging
Aug 18, 2019
Australia
One or my roosters keeps mating my broody hen in the nest.
I haven't put eggs under her yet and I'm guessing they may break if I do put eggs under her.
I have my nest in a communal area so they can hatch and raise chicks in the flock but it is possible I could fence her off but then she would only have a tiny space with food/water and no dust bathing or hardly any room to poop!

How do I get the rooster to stop mating her on the nest?

This is the nests 2 mins ago, with Cookie rooster mating Smokey in the nest, yet again!
...also I see tonight he sleeps WITH her IN the nest
IMG_20210913_161757.jpg
IMG_20210913_161831.jpg

Last edited:
I have just added him to the flock 2 days ago... Do you think he will always have this behaviour?- mate hens even if nesting?
That could be the reason he's mounting her, he's establishing his dominance.
For now I'd separate him....until a couple weeks after the broody has hatched her chicks.

Would I have to always have him separate or broody hens separate? That will not work well for me as I will be having broody hens often.
Then you should set up an enclosure within the coop for broodies, big enough for nest, feed, water, and pooping.

One or my roosters keeps mating my broody hen in the nest.
I haven't put eggs under her yet and I'm guessing they may break if I do put eggs under her.
I have my nest in a communal area so they can hatch and raise chicks in the flock but it is possible I could fence her off but then she would only have a tiny space with food/water and no dust bathing or hardly any room to poop!

How do I get the rooster to stop mating her on the nest?

This is the nests 2 mins ago, with Cookie rooster mating Smokey in the nest, yet again!
...also I see tonight he sleeps WITH her IN the nest
View attachment 2831850
View attachment 2831851
Separate out the male. He is taking advantage of the female and misinterpreting her broody spread as a mating-ready squat. Something has not clicked in his brain, and it could discourage hens from brooding and harm/squidh eggs and chicks. The hen needs access and space, the rooster not so much.
A good rooster keeps everyone in the flock safe, from eggs to chicks to hens.

Wouldn't he just go back this mating thing when I add him back in?
Maybe, but maybe not.

If you put him in a pen alone but next to the flock, he can start to feel like part of the flock.
Or if you leave him with the other hens, and separate the broody, he will also start to feel like part of the flock.

If mating with the broody is only happening because he is new, then he should stop trying when he is used to being there and familiar with all the hens. If it continues even after he's settled in, you might consider whether he's really the right rooster for your flock or whether you would be better off with a different rooster.

Maybe, but maybe not.

If you put him in a pen alone but next to the flock, he can start to feel like part of the flock.
Or if you leave him with the other hens, and separate the broody, he will also start to feel like part of the flock.

If mating with the broody is only happening because he is new, then he should stop trying when he is used to being there and familiar with all the hens. If it continues even after he's settled in, you might consider whether he's really the right rooster for your flock or whether you would be better off with a different rooster.
Update, I have culled 2 of the roosters (one infertile and this problem one) now I'm left with 10.5 month cockerel who is beautiful and docile, he will not mate a broody.

I have moved the nest boxes and given broody eggs in her own temp mini coop area so she can brood in peace for now.
The hens probably won't like the open style nest boxes now they are outside that little darker area, hopefully they will adjust and won't lay in random spots all over the coop!
IMG_20210914_132208.jpg IMG_20210914_132150.jpg

Either separate the male or the broody.
I have just added him to the flock 2 days ago... Do you think he will always have this behaviour?- mate hens even if nesting?
Would I have to always have him separate or broody hens separate? That will not work well for me as I will be having broody hens often.

Back
Top Bottom