rooster mating ducks

They problem with the drakes mating the chicken hens is that the hens are not set up correctly for that.
When chickens mate, the rooster simply touches himself to the hen, there is no penetration. When ducks mate, there is penetration. In fact, drakes have a corkscrew like penis, and I guess you can imagine why that would be a problem for the chicken. The drake may have issues hitting the mark since chickens are much shorter than ducks, buf anything is possible with some persistence. And pmthats not something drakes lack. Anyway, its also why your rooster wont hurt the duck hens and you'll never have and little "chucks" or "duckens" running around
1f609.png

Last edited:
I have a juvunal rooster (he doesn't crow yet) who regularly chases down and mounts one of my laying Muscovy ducks...his business end barely arrive mid back of the duck! The funny thing is she submits. I have had young Muscovy drakes who were raised by chickens try to mate my hens, fortunately no harm dome beyond freaking them out and breaking eggs. Once most were sold, the remaining drake, now dominant left off chasing the hens.

They problem with the drakes mating the chicken hens is that the hens are not set up correctly for that.
When chickens mate, the rooster simply touches himself to the hen, there is no penetration. When ducks mate, there is penetration. In fact, drakes have a corkscrew like penis, and I guess you can imagine why that would be a problem for the chicken. The drake may have issues hitting the mark since chickens are much shorter than ducks, buf anything is possible with some persistence. And pmthats not something drakes lack. Anyway, its also why your rooster wont hurt the duck hens and you'll never have and little "chucks" or "duckens" running around
1f609.png
I understand the concept of why it would. But have never had it happen. I am wondering if someone HAS had it kill a chicken.

Not arguing that it could. I understand they don't have the same parts.

Well, I haven't had it happen either, but I've always housed my chickens and turkey separate from my ducks and geese...
See, now I've had my turkeys kill chickens. I won't house them together ever again. My ducks have always been housed with my chickens though. Prior to this I only had call ducks. I'm sure a call drake couldn't do much damage... being tiny (poor guy) and all
gig.gif

My rooster started mating my ducks he chases one down jumps on them my drake runs over and hold her head down to help i think but the females don't seem to be fazed they just flap there wings after and go on with there buisness

That is funny. I know if a chicken hen raises Guinea keets they will be guarded by the Guineas for life. And will attack a rooster that comes near her. Lol

I'm looking for an answer too. Yes, it does happen! I have 31 hens, 6 roosters, and 4 ducks. One drake and 3 girls. They're 4 months old. (Except for 20 hens from last year). My roosters are going "after" my female ducks. At first it was one, but I saw 3 on her the other day. Mister duck was chasing one so I'm hoping he is tired of this sick game, lol. I know I have too many roosters, but I'm deciding which 3 to get rid of. I think I just decided! :)

Back
Top Bottom