Rooster messing up the next box.

Silkie Keeper 7

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 17, 2014
Hello again. I have a pair of Silkie chickens (rooster and hen) and a young Malay rooster who loves together. They get along cause they've been together since they were little. Anyways the silkie hen has started laying eggs but the Malay rooster keeps going into the nest box and messing it up like kicking the hay everywhere. The eggs are not damaged but will they be harmed if they get kicked around too much? and my grandparents are suggesting to cull it anyways cause since its a rooster it will soon crow very loud. So should I cull it or not?

I wouldn't think that culling him would stop him from digging in the hay. That's a natural thing for any chicken to do...he could pick a more appropriate spot but you can't exactly reason with him.
As for crowing, that's kinda part of owning a rooster. Not even something I notice. I would personally only have one culled bc of aggressiveness.

My leghorns do the same thing with their nestbox material (they're girls). I switched to folded up feed bags, which they can't kick out and don't mind laying eggs on. Very easy to clean too. Yes, your eggs can be broken by this behavior.

As for your roosters, it sounds like they haven't reached puberty yet. Once they do, you probably will have a serious problem with them fighting over the one hen. You will likely hve to cull one.

Last edited:
I wouldn't think that culling him would stop him from digging in the hay. That's a natural thing for any chicken to do...he could pick a more appropriate spot but you can't exactly reason with him.
As for crowing, that's kinda part of owning a rooster. Not even something I notice. I would personally only have one culled bc of aggressiveness.

You do understand what "culling" means? It probably would stop him from doing pretty much anything.

What the rooster is probably doing is very domestic and part of normal roo behavior. It's customary for a good rooster to encourage the hens to lay by fluffing up the nest for them, during which he'll make low, clicking noises to the hen. He may even get into the nest with her has she lays the egg.

All of my rooster have done this. It's adorable. It's in no way deserving of culling.

I do know what culling is. I wish I knew someone who would do it. I was merely trying to point out that the chicken was just doing what chickens do.
I also agree that them not fighting is temporary.

One rooster and one hen is usually a recipe for a very stressed and miserable hen. 2 roosters and one hen is defiantly a recipe for disaster. What you're seeing now is instincts slowly kicking in to win favor of the hen. I can't see this ending any other way than a knock down, drag out brawl between the 2 roosters.

I would recommend not only removing one rooster, but also consider getting more hens. A ratio 10 hens to 1 rooster is ideal but adding any amount would be an improvement. Also giving them plenty of space to roam around and hiding spots for the hen to go when she's had enough "love," will offer leeway in the ratio.

I also agree with azygous that this does not mean you should cull him. By all means if you need the food, (or just really like the broth) he's yours an I have no room to say otherwise. But if you think culling is the only option, I assure you, its not. He could be kept separate, or rehomed. This website, craigslist or your local feed store are excellent places to find a new home for him. His current behavior leads me to believe he would make a very sweet hen keeper in the future.

Last edited:
I do know what culling is. I wish I knew someone who would do it. I was merely trying to point out that the chicken was just doing what chickens do.
I also agree that them not fighting is temporary.
Sorry, but I'm inclined to believe you don't. By your posts, my best guess is that you are misunderstanding culling for caponizing, which is neutering.

Culling doesn't necessarily mean killing. It can mean selling, or moving to a different coop as well. Whichever option you choose, he will be removed from the flock, which = culling.

The behavior you're describing is something I like in a rooster. Its typically a sign of good manners on their part. My roosters that prepare nests tend to be excellent co-parents to chicks and have great temperaments (which I look for to pass on to future generations).

The previous posters are right about your hen to rooster ratio though. Pretty soon, you're hen is going to be run ragged, over mated and miserable. You could probably get away with keeping the 2 Silkies as a pair, I do it sometimes when I separate mine into breeding pens to keep track of who I'm hatching eggs from, and they do fine in pairs (probably because, generally, they're a pretty mellow breed). But, your Malay is probably going to require more company to keep him satisfied, since they're known for being a more active, aggressive breed.

Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom