Rooster noise meanings

kristine16

Chirping
Sep 21, 2020
Is there a source somewhere with audio or video with rooster noises and their meaning? One of our two roosters makes an extremely wide range of noises. Some of them you can tell what they mean by the situation, others not so much. This video for example, is this what is called purring? Is he encouraging her or discouraging me? Rooster purr?

Is there a source somewhere with audio or video with rooster noises and their meaning? One of our two roosters makes an extremely wide range of noises. Some of them you can tell what they mean by the situation, others not so much. This video for example, is this what is called purring? Is he encouraging her or discouraging me? Rooster purr?
That's a purr to comfort the hen in the nest, mine sometimes joins the hens, & makes them a nest, & make that noise, & won't leave till she laid her egg.

That's a purr to comfort the hen in the nest, mine sometimes joins the hens, & makes them a nest, & make that noise, & won't leave till she laid her egg.
Thanks! He’s only 6-7 months old but seems to be headed for being a really good rooster. He gets in the nesting boxes and gives the girls little talks about them, he shows them where the treats are and even sings the egg song. I just wasn’t sure if this sound was for her or for me.

Are you talking about the trill, or the Roar?

I'll look at the video in a minute.

That’s weird. I can hear it when I play the video. Is your volume all the way up? It sounds like a rusty door hinge. I am guessing a trill is higher pitched and he does also make a sound like that occasionally, I wouldn’t describe this sound as a roar either though.
I'll try with my volume all the way up.

A trill is used as a warning signal.

Back
Top Bottom