Rooster not breathing well

AKfarm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 12, 2012
I have a six Month old rooster that I was given about a month ago. Since we got him, he has been having trouble breathing. He stretches out his neck with his mouth gaping to get air and shakes is head back and forth. He also breaths with his mouth open and picks at his nostrils quite often. He does not have any mucus that I can see. He crows every morning, so I don't think he is too bad off but I am still worried. I have newly hatched chicks that I don't want infected with anything. Can I feed him medicated chick starter to help him out? This has been going on for at least a month now, so I don't think it is gapeworm but I have never seen a chicken with them before. I really don't know what to think. Please help if you can.
Thanks

I was thinking gapeworm at first... i haven't seen it before either only read about it.... the medicated chick feed could help and it has a higher protein content.... but i keep thinking you might have so kind of respiratory infection. Have you felt to check how his crop is? I know sometimes my roosters eat too fast and start coughing and Squeak trying to clear out the trapped food (they never learn). You might want to ask the person you got the rooster from if any of their birds are showing similar symptoms.

I have felt his crop and it usually feels pretty full. He doesn't seem to be over eating but I dont know for sure. I have been watching him as much as I can. He is not sneezing or coughing either. Just picking his nose. He seems a bit on the sluggish side but not lethargic. He is not really showing any signs of being sick other than his breathing and nose picking. I am going to try some chick starter to see if it helps. Thanks for the input!!!
smile.png

ah a frizzle. from this he looks pretty happy. though at the back of the comb i do see a slight discoloration happening. Make sure he is in a warm room and see how he does. It could be genetic, it can also just be a change in hormone levels that is causing the comb discoloration....

is sure is curly. and it could just be a quirk that he does....

wait... 6 months..... does he crow yet?

Check for gapeworm by taking a q-tip and put in as far down the throar as you can and twist it to get a sample of the inside. If it comes out red with little redish Y shaped worm then its gape. If not you might treat with deagard or tylan 50 injectable.
I have a six Month old rooster that I was given about a month ago. Since we got him, he has been having trouble breathing. He stretches out his neck with his mouth gaping to get air and shakes is head back and forth. He also breaths with his mouth open and picks at his nostrils quite often. He does not have any mucus that I can see. He crows every morning, so I don't think he is too bad off but I am still worried. I have newly hatched chicks that I don't want infected with anything. Can I feed him medicated chick starter to help him out? This has been going on for at least a month now, so I don't think it is gapeworm but I have never seen a chicken with them before. I really don't know what to think. Please help if you can.
Thanks

He just started crowing about two weeks ago. We have him inside our house in a stock tank. Our other chickens were trying to kill him so we coudn't leave him in the coop. The other chickens are all confined to a large coop because it is about 40 below zero outside. He is a very affectionate rooster, he comes to my hand and rests his chest in it. I would hate to lose him. I have grown very attached.

Ok, I will try that. What is deagard or tylan for? Thank you for your help!

Check for gapeworm by taking a q-tip and put in as far down the throar as you can and twist it to get a sample of the inside. If it comes out red with little redish Y shaped worm then its gape. If not you might treat with deagard or tylan 50 injectable.

Back
Top Bottom